Nauer: A lesson in Italian fashion

By Julia Nauer

I just returned from the land where Prada, Gucci, Fendi and Versace reign supreme. After… I just returned from the land where Prada, Gucci, Fendi and Versace reign supreme. After spending the past few days in the beautiful cities of Milan and Rome, it’s safe to say I am in ‘amore’ with Italian fashion. Besides seeing some incredibly historic and scenic places, walking the streets of both cities proved to be a feast for the fashion eyes. Not only are the streets lined with some of the best luxury brands in the world, but Italian men, women and children routinely step out fantastically dressed. Despite the sumptuous fabrics, soft leathers and exquisite handbags, there are quite a lot of intangible factors that go into Italian dressing. No matter how many euros you spend in Dolce ‘amp; Gabbana, simply plucking an Italian brand off the rack couldn’t produce the same effortless sexiness that is visible on the streets of Milan. The Italian look is confident, glamorous and refined, while also being simultaneously unique and understated ‘mdash; all injected with a healthy dose of attitude. People usually looked very sensuous without looking overtly sexual or trying too hard. That’s not to say every single person I saw looked great. There were certainly a few blind trend followers boasting tacky excess and baring too much skin.’ Although I’m not sure that Italian style can be duplicated, there are a few unisex items that can translate well into an American wardrobe. Sunglasses are the main accessories that come to mind. Everyone had a good pair of shades, but Ray-Ban Wayfarers seem particularly popular. What better way to create a little mysterious sex appeal and glamor than slipping on a dark pair of shades?’ Speaking of eyewear, glasses seem to be a major part of an outfit in Italy, and everyone has a very stylish pair. And the cool thing about buying eyeglasses in the United States is insurance usually covers the cost, so essentially someone else will pay for designer frames from Gucci. And if you can splurge a little buying jeans, why not try on a skinny pair from Italian label Diesel to get a casual cool Italian look? And don’t forget to top everything off with a really great pair of shoes ‘mdash; a hallmark of Italian dressing. Shoes are a great way to make an outfit really stand out and are worth investing a little more in. Leather boots or really cool looking sneakers paired with your new Diesel jeans would be perfect.’ I was disappointed that I didn’t buy anything in Milan, one of the shopping capitals of the world. I was tempted to go on a shopping spree, charge it to my dad’s credit card and tell him it was ‘research’ for this column, but I don’t think that would go over so well. But my disappointment quickly dissipated when I stumbled into a tiny shoe store in Rome. I don’t know the name of the store or even the name of the street it was on, but I know I made my favorite shoe purchase there. After much size deliberation, I decided on caramel-colored patent leather flats adorned with an over-exaggerated bow on the toe. I can’t wait to wear them this weekend. And I also can’t wait for people to ask me where I got them.’ So what have I learned from my people-watching in Italy? While it’s not a good idea to duplicate someone else’s style, you should cultivate one that works for you and your body to achieve a sexy elegance.’ And sunglasses, of course, are a must. Ciao, bella!