SGB to host housing panel

By Simone Cheatham

‘ ‘ ‘ Student Government Board hopes to offer a little guidance to students who are still… ‘ ‘ ‘ Student Government Board hopes to offer a little guidance to students who are still looking for a place to live next year. ‘ ‘ ‘ Board member Alexa Jennings said SGB will hold a Housing in Oakland Panel, which will feature representatives from Panther Central, Off-Campus Living and other organizations, from 5:30 to 7 p.m. in the William Pitt Union April 1. ‘ ‘ ‘ Students can receive Outside the Classroom Curriculum credit if they attend the event. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘This panel came about from students’ responses for their need for getting their questions answered based on their housing concerns,’ said Jennings. ‘I encourage everybody to come out and take advantage of this opportunity.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Jennings’ announcement came during the board’s meeting, which lasted only 15 minutes Tuesday night. SGB President Kevin Morrison said that meetings are that short two or three times a semester, when the board reviews budgets. At that time, it doesn’t approve allocations requests. ‘ ‘ ‘ So, the remainder of the meeting, except for a few minutes that Morrison and board member Max Greenwald took to congratulate the men’s and women’s basketball teams on advancing to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament, focused on the board members’ projects. ‘ ‘ ‘ Board member Katlyn Jennings said she held her first food services committee meeting on Tuesday where attendees discussed organic foods as well as gluten-free foods for students. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘To my surprise, most of the fruits that are available in Market Central and other places are from local farms,’ said Jennings. ‘ ‘ ‘ Gluten-free foods will now be available after 8 p.m. at Market Central’s Tutto Fresco, the salad bar toward the back of the eatery. ‘ ‘ ‘ Board member Charlie Schull congratulated and thanked greeks for coming to and supporting the recent ‘opening debut’ of an art gallery. The 650 greeks in attendance raised about $1,400 to help others in the community. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I want to thank you all for getting involved in your community and doing your part,’ said Schull. ‘ ‘ ‘ Angela Miller McGraw, the program manager for the Hesselbein Global Leadership Academy, announced a new initiative for students called the Hesselbein Student Leadership Summit. The summit pairs 50 of the top student leaders from the United States with experts in various fields. Student who attend will receive free room and board and $200 in travel assistance. ‘ ‘ ‘ She also announced the new Hesselbein Global Leaders Fellowship. Graduating seniors who become fellows will complete a year-long externship in a country other than their country of origin. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘You will have all of your health care, your living, your travel expenses paid for,’ said Miller McGraw. ‘It’ll be exactly like a fully paid position.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Brochures for the fellowship are available in the SGB office on the eighth floor of the Union.