Campbell: Consumers can avoid costly updates

By by Donald Campbell

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Microsoft, when compared to other operating system… ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Microsoft, when compared to other operating system providers, has long charged large amounts of money for upgrades between operating systems. ‘ ‘ ‘ Users back in the day who wished to upgrade their aging Windows 95 machines to Windows 98 had to pay dearly. Likewise, those who wanted a completely new core and wanted to upgrade to the revolutionary Windows XP could do so only by signing over an insultingly large sum to Microsoft. ‘ ‘ ‘ Of course, because Microsoft still has a firm grip on the computing industry, companies and individuals either grudgingly pulled out their pocket books or simply upgraded their computer technology. ‘ ‘ ‘ Although a buyer of a new computer is invariantly paying something to Microsoft for the license of the Windows operating system automatically loaded on it, the transaction seems somewhat less absurd ‘mdash; to the buyer, Microsoft doesn’t seem to be making nearly as much money. ‘ ‘ ‘ However, Microsoft hit a bump. Windows 7 is not yet available, and they have a continued policy of charging for Windows XP downgrades for new computer systems. As a result, it is no doubt that many anti-Vista buyers are leery about purchasing a new computer with Vista pre-installed. After all, doing so would simply spend money on a Vista license, only to require a costly Windows 7 upgrade when Windows 7 becomes industry-standard. ‘ ‘ ‘ Computerworld.com reported about a week ago, however, that a retailer in Seattle created an ingenious-though-obvious out for consumers. What if computers running Windows Vista that are bought now could be upgraded to Windows 7 when it becomes available, completely free of cost? ‘ ‘ ‘ That’s right. If Puget Sound Systems, Inc., has a particularly alluring deal. As of March 1, consumers can buy computers without the unpleasantness of an all-too-soon, ominous specter of expensive Microsoft upgrades. ‘ ‘ ‘ Why hasn’t Microsoft thought of this? Historically, Microsoft would find this prospect a little insulting. But in the days of Microsoft quickly loosing clout with the disaster of Windows Vista and the possibility that Windows 7 ‘mdash; though an improvement ‘mdash; may be seen to the public simply as Vista Service Pack 1, Microsoft might be willing to consider anything. ‘ ‘ ‘ In fact, Puget Sound Systems plans on allowing Microsoft to take over the responsibility of reimbursing consumers for Windows Vista to Windows 7 upgrades, Computerworld.com reports. ‘ ‘ ‘ So should consumers be continually wary of Windows Vista if they do not live in Seattle? From using Windows Vista extensively, I personally would have few qualms with buying a Vista-based computer, as long as the machine was a good buy. I am a sometimes irritatingly careful consumer ‘mdash; a credit card company’s worst nightmare, if you will. I still run a Pentium IV. When I needed a new laptop, I chose to take advantage of rather lucrative Apple discounts and buy a white MacBook. I withheld my purchase for almost a year before Apple decided to cough up enough incentives. ‘ ‘ ‘ You may find my lifestyle, my aging desktop and my indifference to Windows Vista flummoxing, as you drive to class in your leased Honda itching to use that $1,300 of credit limit left available on your MasterCard. If you’re going to spend $1,300 on a desktop, it is quite certain you are grappling painfully with a strange conundrum: Buy now and endure Vista or wait and use your aging machine for a few more months. Do not worry yourself any longer. The University will undoubtedly provide Windows 7 to students free of charge, just as it has Windows XP Professional and Windows Vista Ultimate. Puget Sound Systems’ idea might spread to other computer retailers and, perhaps, to computer manufacturers. Manufacturers like Dell and Hewlett-Packard will undoubtedly see decreases in their sales just because of the economic downturn. That $1,300 of credit limit might be charging too much interest for most people’s tastes, after all. People wary of their financial statures will only be further soured against the possibility of investing in Vista-included machines in the near future if the looming enticement of an expensive upgrade is mere months away.