Watson Twins’ folk rock isn’t doubled anywhere

By Kelsey Shea

‘ ‘ ‘ For Chandra and Leigh Watson, being 6-foot-tall identical twin sisters isn’t the only… ‘ ‘ ‘ For Chandra and Leigh Watson, being 6-foot-tall identical twin sisters isn’t the only unique thing they’ve got going for them. ‘ ‘ ‘ They’re also the harmonizing, guitar strumming, folk singing indie rock artists, performing as ‘mdash; surprise! ‘mdash; The Watson Twins.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Best known for their collaboration with Jenny Lewis on Rabbit Fur Coat, the sisters broke out on their own in 2008 and will come to Pittsburgh this Saturday to open for Ben Kweller at Diesel Club Lounge.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ It’s hard to guess by the Watson’s soft sound and sweet harmonies, but indie folk hasn’t always been their cup of tea.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘There was a large punk scene and hardcore scene, so that’s kind of where we grew up, going to see these punk shows and hardcore shows,’ Chandra Watson told The Pitt News about her hometown Louisville, Ky.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ But as their musical abilities improved and their tastes changed, so did their music, and they weren’t alone. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘It’s funny, because cut to years later now, all my friends who were in hardcore bands are now playing Americana or alt-country indie rock,’ laughed Watson. ‘ ‘ ‘ After a few years in the Louisville music scene, Chandra and Leigh moved out to Silver Lake, Calif., where their voices caught the attention or Rilo Kiley’s lead singer Jenny Lewis. ‘ ‘ ‘ After the twins sang backup at a few of her shows, Lewis was impressed enough to invite the twins into the recording studio and on tour with her for her solo album Rabbit Fur Coat. The experience proved to be an invaluable one for the Watsons. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘By going out and being backup singers for this woman who had been doing it for years was a really great experience, not only just as far as learning but also getting comfortable onstage,’ she said. ‘ ‘ ‘ Nowadays, the twins are comfortable on stage, in the studio and on tour by themselves. After the 2008 release of their first album, Fire Songs, the Watsons spent the last year touring and writing their own music. ‘ ‘We’ve both been writing a lot and then also reinventing songs from the record, sort of changing up arrangements a little bit because this will be our third tour playing songs from Fire Songs,’ said Watson. ‘ ‘ ‘ One of the major ways they’ve switched up their sound is by moving away from the boundaries of the guitar. This Saturday, fans can expect to hear Chandra and Leigh’s signature vocal harmonies backed by piano and bass lines rather than the traditional folk staple guitar music. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘It’s like changing the way you speak by learning a different language. In this case we’re using another instrument to change that,’ said Watson. ‘ ‘ ‘ With a fresh approach and innovative changes, Watson expects their tour with Kweller to be an exciting one. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I think Ben is such a great performer, and I’m really looking forward to doing shows with him. We’re playing really great venues, and we’re kind of doing a different set up with our band. We brought along a keyboardist this time instead of a lead guitarist,’ she said. ‘ ‘ ‘ And despite the uncomfortable proximity of a tour bus, according to Chandra, sisterly tensions are rarely an issue when the twins are on the road.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We have a really interesting relationship,’ she said. ‘We’re the type of sisters who can be screaming at each other one minute and cracking each other up the next.’