Sex around campus all the rage

By Justin Jacobs

‘ ‘ ‘ Editor’s Note: The students’ names in this story have been changed to encourage open… ‘ ‘ ‘ Editor’s Note: The students’ names in this story have been changed to encourage open discussion. ‘ ‘ Most sexually active students at Pitt are satisfied with a bed when having sex. Maybe even a couch or table. ‘ ‘ ‘ But for an uncharted group of students, those options are just too safe ‘mdash; many students are opting to add a sense of danger to their intimacy in the form of sex in public places. And they’re places you might walk through every day. ‘ ‘ ‘ From the Cathedral of Learning to Hillman Library and the communal rooms of every dorm, students get down in places where they can get caught. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘The anticipation of being caught adds to the whole thing, makes it more risky. But I guess getting caught in a public place does scare me,’ said James, a Pitt freshman, who has engaged in public sex in a Tower’s bathroom. ‘ ‘ ‘ Junior Sally mirrored James’ sentiments. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘It’s different, and that causes curiosity and arousal. I think everyone likes to do something risky or dangerous ‘mdash; to be a badass,’ she said. ‘ ‘ ‘ To some students, James included, sex in public is sometimes seen as a necessity ‘mdash; when the urge strikes and a private room just isn’t available. But most often, according to Mary Ruiz, the Office of Sexual Assault Services coordinator, students crave the thrill of doing a forbidden act. And though we may never outgrow that desire, the manner in which we carry it out will change. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I would guess that it’s an age issue. As people get older, the thrill for them is affairs. This is sneaking around in a public place, will we get caught, won’t we get caught, and the whole issue of doing something forbidden,’ said Ruiz. ‘ ‘ ‘ Another factor, Ruiz said, is college students’ penchant for drinking and questionable decisions. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘When people drink, their inhibitions are lowered. So you take alcohol and combine with doing something for the thrill of it ‘mdash; that’s why it’s happening,’ she said. ‘ ‘ ‘ Of course public sex is fun and games until students get caught. Then it becomes a matter dealt with by people most students wouldn’t want sorting through their intimate lives ‘mdash; the Pitt police. ‘ ‘ ‘ As there is no code specifically dealing with public sex in the Pitt student code of conduct, students caught in the act in a public place would be dealt with like anyone else accused of indecent exposure, said Dean of Students Kathy Humphrey. ‘ ‘ ‘ If a student is caught by any University staff, the information can be passed to campus police and land the student at a Judicial Board hearing. Still, there is no blanket punishment for sex in public buildings at Pitt. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We base everything on the situation, like if it’s happened before,’ said Humphrey. ‘But I would hope a Pitt student would never do that. Respect yourself first. No one wants to see that.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ While she might be right, many students continue to risk an awkward run in with a Cathedral custodian in the name of an unusual and titillating romp. Some even see on-campus sex as a right of passage. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘You can tell that story for generations, bringing your grandkids together to tell them about having sex in the Jazz Hall of Fame. You meet your girlfriend at Pitt, then you come back to visit and walk past the Union and you can have that high-five moment,’ said senior Guy. ‘By having sex in the Union or the library, you’re joining a brotherhood of individuals for centuries since the University was founded. Once that first building went up, people were having sex in it.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Patterson added that the change in scenery is not just exciting for it’s danger element, but also its exotic nature. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I mean, my room has nothing special,’ he said. ‘Maybe a candle in there.’