Post-Jackson 5 disco discs reissued gloriously

By Marc Schutzbank

‘ ‘ ‘ Grab your crotch, don some red leather pants and a jacket and take a trip back to a world… ‘ ‘ ‘ Grab your crotch, don some red leather pants and a jacket and take a trip back to a world where society judged a man by the size of his Afro, not by the dangling of a baby out a window. ‘ ‘ ‘ Travel back in time with The Jacksons’ re-released albums Triumph and Destiny. You’ll fall out of the time capsule in a place where one glove is all you need. ‘ ‘ ‘ Michael Jackson and his brothers brought together an astounding sound, linking the brass of the age with new synthesizers and dance beats that will get every single lady on the dance floor. ‘ ‘ ‘ Triumph is no different. Its first song, ‘Can You Feel It,’ utilizes heraldic horns and a bumping bass line to implore people to join in ‘Loving each other wholeheartedly … [because] the blood inside of me is inside of you.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Race relations have taken a giant leap since the 1970s and ’80s, but these words still speak to this nation. The Jacksons’ music is a dialogue that appeals equally to both black and white audiences.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The King of Pop and his brothers bust out another hit in ‘Heartbreak Hotel,’ harnessing state-of-the-art synthesizer technology and Michael’s incredible vocal range, to remake the age-old tale of a broken heart. As Michael unravels stories of pain, the background beat integrates his brothers’ sound effects ‘mdash; sounds of a gun cocking ‘mdash; to give an added expression of frustration and desire to break free. ‘ ‘ ‘ Triumph is an R’amp;B album with harmony and style that doesn’t sound like it came out of a can. Songs are flashy and fun, bringing back an era where pop music didn’t focus on having sex ‘in the club.’ That philosophy comes through in the music video for ‘Can You Feel It.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ The scene opens to a Technicolor vision of a barren landscape. Waterfalls descend from the heavens, along with ‘five futuristic celestial, intergalactic beings sent to spread love and bring about peace,’ as explained in the album. That synergy between storyline and music is something that Michael learned from his time with his brothers and took with him as he furthered his career. ‘ ‘ ‘ The Jacksons originally released Destiny in 1978, when disco was kicking and platforms were just plain fashion. Destiny’s feel-good beats are unmatched. ‘ ‘ ‘ When the album opens with ‘Blame It on the Boogie,’ fans remember just how damned good the Gloved One was. His voice sails and flies, while his body gets down, embracing funk with his signature moves. In his first music video, it’s hard to focus on anything except for Michael’s classic spin move. It’s fun to see Michael at 20, still searching for his body and discovering what it can do. His later moves echo this style, but this video lacks the crispness that brought him to fame. ‘ ‘ ‘ Listening to the album offers insight into Michael’s points of view and influences. The combination of soul and disco serve as the beginning links in the chain to ‘Thriller’ and ‘Billie Jean.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)’ gives a taste of the infamous Michael Jackson hiss that precedes his most impressive dance moves. You can really see where the King of Pop earned his crown. ‘ ‘ ‘ But there are some hiccups. In Michael’s slow jam, ‘Destiny,’ he sings a plea for ‘simple life,’ claiming, ‘If it’s riches, I don’t want it.’ I guess the lure of money was too strong. ‘ ‘ ‘ The King of Pop exists not as who he is today, but in albums like Destiny and Triumph. Only Michael Jackson could have blended both body and voice in order to make stellar songs that brought a diverse public together. Listening to these albums is a treat. Put them on your next playlist, then get on the dance floor and do your best moonwalk.