Nauer: Dublin’s fashion is fresh air compared to ‘Burgh

By Julia Nauer

‘ ‘ ‘ They say the grass is always greener on the other side. Well, that’s literally true if… ‘ ‘ ‘ They say the grass is always greener on the other side. Well, that’s literally true if you cross over to the other side of the ocean. ‘ ‘ ‘ For the past three weeks I’ve been living in Dublin, Ireland, but the gorgeous green landscape does have one drawback ‘mdash; the weather. It’s very similar to Pittsburgh’s, as in cold, gray, rainy, unpredictable. But the Irish don’t seem to let the weather affect their wardrobes. Pittsburgh could take a few cues. ‘ ‘ ‘ It seems as though everyone is always well dressed and makes an effort to not roll out of bed in their sweats. Yup, even for class. Attention to detail, as well as displaying personal style seem to be key ingredients when getting dressed. The everyday look here is a little more rock ‘n’ roll and mix and match than in the United States. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ And although everyone is dressed pretty uniquely, there are a few defining trends I’ve noticed. Coats and boots are the foundations of many outfits here, as they are essential for combating the sporadic rain. And the options and variety seem endless. ‘ ‘ ‘ Whether it’s a tough-looking motorcycle jacket, a long chunky cardigan or a brightly colored pea coat, everyone seems to be donning standout outerwear that brings their looks together. Interesting cuts and out-of-the-ordinary details keep everyone from blending together. Boots finish the look off with fringe detailing, buckles or chunky low heels in all sorts of funky colors. And stores are bursting with options at affordable prices. ‘ ‘ ‘ Tights and leggings are other essentials for showcasing skirts and dresses in chilly weather and are perfect for tucking into boots. One thing I’ve noticed is the plethora of people wearing jean skirts with leggings ‘mdash; a look that hasn’t been big in the United States for a while. It’s everywhere here. ‘ ‘ ‘ Floral-printed and brightly colored mini skirts are also top items to pair with tights of all colors and patterns. Leggings have been big for a while obviously, but the way that the Irish girls where them in versatile ways make them feel fresh, especially pairing them with unique flats and even colorful sneakers. ‘ ‘ ‘ Accessories are huge here. Everywhere you go it seems that everyone has accessorized to the max. Armfuls of colorful bracelets are vital for sprucing up your wrists and big bold earrings for day or night to make an outfit pop. And no one forgets to decorate their hair either with pretty headbands and cute little barrettes with either flower or bow details. ‘ ‘ ‘ Scarves are a must, and again the variety and selection is intense. Every color you could imagine, plus plaids and other pretty patterns make scarves the indispensable accessory and offer an instant way to spice up any outfit. A lot of accessories seem either a little punky and edgy or have a dainty feminine feel, almost like an English tea party. Next to each other it’s an interesting juxtaposition. ‘ ‘ ‘ But what really stands out to me most of all is that everyone isn’t walking around looking like clones of each other, and it’s cool to see everyone’s personal style shine through, especially in dance clubs. ‘ ‘ ‘ To get the same kind of look, I would suggest browsing Topshop’s Web site ‘mdash; they deliver in the United States ‘mdash; for trendy pieces from the UK and hitting up H’amp;M for some Euro-chic looks. Cheers!