English adviser wins award for service

By Molly Stieber

‘ ‘ ‘ English professor Fiore Pugliano won an award for advising.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ The 2009… ‘ ‘ ‘ English professor Fiore Pugliano won an award for advising.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ The 2009 Ampco-Pittsburgh Prize for Excellence in Advising was eligible to any Arts and Sciences departmental adviser who has been advising students on Pitt’s main campus for at least three years. ‘ ‘ ‘ The award was established in 2006. Its winner gains not only recognition, but also a $4,000 cash prize. ‘ ‘ ‘ To be considered for the award, an adviser’s departmental chair or two or more of their students must write letters nominating them. These letters must describe the adviser’s perspective on advising, his caseload and how he has demonstrated excellence in advising. ‘ ‘ ‘ Pugliano has been at Pitt for 42 years. After obtaining his bachelor’s degree from Duquesne University, he earned his master’s degree and doctorate from Pitt. ‘ ‘ ‘ He worked as a teaching assistant in the English department before working for two years as an Arts and Sciences adviser. ‘ ‘ ‘ Pugliano began as an undergraduate adviser for people with undeclared majors in 1974. In 1976, he became an undergraduate adviser for the English department, advising English writing and English literature majors. ‘ ‘ ‘ Today, Pugliano and Professor Mark Kemp advise about 800 undergraduate students majoring in English writing, English literature and film studies. ‘ ‘ ‘ Pugliano expressed his surprise at the announcement that he had won the award. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Around the time when nominations occurred, it was a very busy in the department so I was unaware. When I found out I won, I was very pleased, of course,’ said Pugliano. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘However, I think what really makes this award special is the fact that the students have so much input into who wins,’ he said. ‘ ‘ ‘ As an adviser, Pugliano said he does not establish any general format for advising because each student is different. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We try and establish the things we need to accomplish, plan an academic program, explore possible certificate programs and look into his or her plans for the future,’ he said. ‘ ‘ ‘ Pugliano, who said he is approaching retirement, added that an important aspect of his job is trying to relate the students’ academic lives to their personal lives. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘You have to work with as much as the students are willing to show,’ he said. ‘ ‘ ‘ Previous winners include Daniel Romesberg, sociology (2007), and George Bandik, chemistry (2008). ‘