Loss brings questions for 2009

By JP Hanish

EL PASO ‘- Pitt went to El Paso with big expectations. It just came off a nine-win regular… EL PASO ‘- Pitt went to El Paso with big expectations. It just came off a nine-win regular season, reached its first bowl game since 2004 and had the opportunity to set the tone for the upcoming offseason against a fellow top-25 team. But what transpired during the Sun Bowl Wednesday left the Panthers with more questions than answers going into the New Year, particularly on offense. Pitt’s 3-0 loss to Oregon State came as a shock to many, including Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt.’ ‘Never in 100 years did I think it would end up like this,’ said Wannstedt. Pitt expected to move the ball much more effectively on the Beaver defense, and it also expected that holding Oregon State to just three points would almost guarantee a victory. But the offense could never find a rhythm. The Panthers could not contain Oregon State’s defensive line and ultimately couldn’t move the ball down the field. They were forced into long pass plays on a day when the passing game was nowhere to be found. ‘Going into halftime, I felt like we could stick with the game plan, but we had to hit some passes,’ said Wannstedt. ‘But we [did not] come up with any big plays.’ Many of Pitt’s players were frustrated with how the game unfolded. Running back LeSean McCoy put most of the blame on himself and his teammates.’ ‘A lot of it today was us,’ said McCoy. ‘Some of the stuff we’ve done all week we couldn’t execute. [It was] one of the most frustrating games I’ve played in.’ Those sentiments were felt on the other side of the ball as well. Pitt’s defense played a spectacular game, forcing turnovers and getting in the face of Beavers quarterback Lyle Moevao all game. But Big East Defensive Player of the Year Scott McKillop was still critical of the defense. ‘It’s upsetting,’ said the senior linebacker. ‘We didn’t come out in the second half and set the tone. We left a lot of plays on the field.’ Wannstedt disagreed. He praised both Pitt’s defense and special teams. Instead, he was much more critical of the passing game. ‘The defense played great and gave us a chance,’ said Wannstedt. Starting quarterback Bill Stull played with a heavy heart after the death of his grandfather and could not get comfortable in the pocket all day. He was taken out in the waning moments of the fourth quarter. Wannstedt admitted he might have waited too long to make the change.’ ‘Maybe I should have done it sooner to provide a spark,’ said Wannstedt. The quarterback discussion will be the biggest question mark going into the 2009 season. For a team that figures to be in the Big East race, the Panthers need a passing attack to capture the conference title. Wannstedt indicated that the starting quarterback spot could be up for grabs, with Pat Bostick, Kevan Smith, Greg Cross and Tino Sunseri fighting to possibly supplant Stull, who will be a senior next year. ‘We’ve got to play better in the quarterback position,’ said Wannstedt. ‘It should be a fun spring.’ Some players looked at the game in a more positive light. Linebacker Greg Williams said the loss would make the team better. ‘We all went out and played hard,’ said Williams. ‘[The loss] will give more motivation for us in the offseason.’