A new year for fashion sensibility

By By Julia Nauer

New Year, new you. Right? As the clock struck midnight on New Year’s Eve, I bet that millions… New Year, new you. Right? As the clock struck midnight on New Year’s Eve, I bet that millions of Americans said goodbye to 2008 while enjoying their many vices. They also pledged that 2009 would be the year they would shed those extra pounds, quit smoking, start to organize messy houses or get out of debt. But really, what fun are those? So, I’ve devised a list of resolutions that will actually be enjoyable to keep. Fashion resolutions, of course. Here’s my list for 2009: 1.’ ‘ ‘ Do more with less. Before buying up another shirt, bag or necklace that will most likely end up at the back of my closet or the bottom of a dresser drawer, I will carefully examine my wardrobe and accessories. By taking careful inventory of pieces that can be refreshed and worn in new and exciting ways ‘mdash; and letting go of those items that would look better on the racks of the South Side’s Goodwill ‘mdash; dressing will be easier. Shopping will become less wasteful when I realize that I don’t need another white long-sleeved shirt because I have six that I rarely wear, taking up valuable real estate, in my closet. 2.’ ‘ ‘ Get back to basics: Cardigans, pencil skirts, neutral tones and handbags in classic shapes ‘mdash; all very basic clothing elements that are part of Spring 2009 essentials. And all very likely to be already hanging in my closet. I promise to use this to my advantage. All of these items pair well with fun extras. Since I ‘mdash; and likely you, too ‘mdash; have a lot of these fashion fundamentals already, this leaves room for some January sale shopping for exquisite pieces at deeply discounted prices to match up with the basics. 3.’ ‘ ‘ Go bold with jewelry. A girl’s got to do something to have a little fun with her outfit. I’ll try to be more adventurous with my jewelry choices. Big, bold necklaces can dress up a plain T-shirt, and statement-making earrings can add that extra ‘oomph’ to an otherwise dull outfit. Pretty colored jewels and beads in interesting shapes are sure to be a bright spot on a gray Pittsburgh day ‘mdash; and when the clouds decide to depart around May, they can make a seamless transition into sunshine and summer. 4.’ ‘ ‘ Don’t rule out any new trend completely. While I often quickly write off some trends as unwearable and silly looking, I’ll try to enter 2009 with an open mind. The baggy, ripped jeans I saw on celebrities in 2008 that I once denounced as frumpy and unflattering are starting to look very appealing. So maybe I shouldn’t completely cross the popular gypsy-looking harem pants off my list, even if I do think they are slightly ridiculous right now. And since exposed midriffs can be seen on the pages of TeenVOGUE this month, maybe it’s time I got back to doing crunches, even if I’m not planning on bearing my belly quite yet. 5.’ ‘ ‘ Go ahead and flatter yourself. I will not wear anything that does not fit or flatter my figure this year. Not every style works on every body and I refuse to waste a minute of 2009 wearing something that sags in all the wrong places or flaunts parts that shouldn’t be flaunted. There are beautiful clothes out there that can make you look and feel your best so don’t spend any more time in front of the mirror obsessing over an outfit that just doesn’t work for you. There are better clothes out there. Ones that love you just the way you are. You just might have to do a little searching. So cheers to 2009, may it be your best-dressed year yet.