Nauer: Michelle O will come first as new fashion icon

By By Julia Nauer

I’ve often considered how much thought and effort must be put into choosing an outfit when… I’ve often considered how much thought and effort must be put into choosing an outfit when placed in the public arena under harsh scrutiny. However, until today I never thought that clothing could have foreign policy implications. But after Michelle Obama chose Cuban-American designer Isabel Toledo to outfit her in a lemongrass jeweled coat, cardigan and dress for Inauguration Day, some are saying just that. The Wall Street Journal’s Cheryl Lu-Lien Tan reports that associate professor of fashion history at Parsons the New School for Design Beth Dincuff Charleston suggests, ‘People could start wondering, ‘Is this a sign that our relations with Cuba are going to become friendlier? But they’re refugees from Castro’s regime ‘mdash; it could go either way.’ Whether or not Toledo’s gown was chosen to help advance Mr. Obama’s political agenda I can’t say. But she was making other important statements on Tuesday in her regal gown paired with green patent leather Jimmy Choo heels and J. Crew leather gloves. Her look, created by this Cuban refugee, had a lot to do with embracing multiculturalism and optimism and hope in the U.S. economy.’ Echoing this sentiment, Obama’s second wardrobe choice ‘mdash; which she donned for the 10 inaugural balls that she attended on the arm of Mr. President ‘mdash; was a gown by Jason Wu, a 26-year-old Taipei-born designer. The white, one-shouldered chiffon confection featured a ruched bodice, appliques and Swarovski crystals for a ‘dream-like effect.’ The stark white seemed to symbolize a new beginning and a clean slate. Both designer choices were right in sync with Obama’s penchant for lesser-known labels and were a perfect visual example of the message of hope and change that President Barack Obama expressed in his address to the nation. The first lady’s decision to wear the designs of foreign-born starlets currently working in the U.S. fashion industry exemplifies the American dream. Her chic clothing choices coupled with her sphere of influence might make her just the woman to save the fashion industry from its sinking sales figures. Where else will you find an educated, professional woman who can still have fun with fashion? Sadly, more space in the media is devoted to less substantial fashion icons. Although she favors higher-end and fashion-forward designers for more glamorous events, her J. Crew and White House Black Market looks (a look shared by her daughters, who wore J. Crew coats to the Inauguration) are refreshingly attainable and can be found in most malls. Which brings up an issue that might come under more scrutiny over the duration of her husband’s term in office ‘mdash; how much will she be spending on clothing? What kind of message will the price tag of her pants send to the American public? During times of economic crisis, the first lady must not only look at the design merits and appropriateness of an outfit, but must also examine the underlying meaning an expensive wardrobe will convey. Her choices must be congruent with the president’s direction for the country. Some fear this close critique, which could come in time, might cause Obama to reach for more conservative choices. But has she started to do so already? Possibly. The Wall Street Journal’s Tan feels that Obama chose edgy designers for Inauguration Day, but her actual wardrobe selections were a little safer than what she donned on the campaign trail. But stay tuned. I have a feeling the next four years will be a fantastic fashion journey through politics.