Millions pack D.C. to watch inauguration

By Justin Jacobs

‘ WASHINGTON — Nearly 2 million people packed into Washington D.C. yesterday to see… ‘ WASHINGTON — Nearly 2 million people packed into Washington D.C. yesterday to see President Barack Obama take the oath of office.

They put on layer upon layer of clothing and took piles of blankets with them, many scoping out their spots before the sun rose.

Among those most determined to find the perfect spot was Johnita Cox.

The 67-year-old black woman from Jackson, Ala., her accent thick and voice slow, said with a wink, ‘Even if my feet got frostbitten, I wouldn’t mind it. But I’m already warm, because I’m here to see Obama.’

Cox swayed and danced to the orchestral music blaring through the speakers set up throughout the Mall to keep warm. While, for many, it was a time for laughter and light-hearted celebration, the gravity of the event pressed hard on Cox’ shoulders.

‘I’m gonna write this down so my future grandchildren know that their grandmother was here in D.C. to see our first black … president,’ she said, her voice cracking as her eyes watered. ‘I came two weeks early just to be here. I wouldn’t have missed this for nothing.’

Though some, like Cox, danced to stay warm, many opted for layers and layers of blankets — even those from the country’s coldest places.

The Hamerly family, who flew from Alaska, sat on the ground with a thick fleece blanket wrapped all of them, creating a cocoon of body warmth. Melinda Hamerly, 42, preferred staying close with her daughters, Natalie and Stephanie, to being crunched in with hundreds of thousands of strangers closer to the front.

‘We were right up at the front of this section being pushed up against everybody. I hear people talk about that but I’ve never been in anything like it,’ she said. ‘More than the entire state of Alaska’s going to be out here on the Mall today.’

In a crowd estimated by The New York Times to have been between 1.8 and 2 million people, the emotions were both high and varied going into Obama’s inauguration.

Some looked grimly back at the past. Some were near speechless at the present.

‘He was very articulate,’ said Florida teacher Maggie Cavin after Obama’s inaugural address, during which she jumped and shouted. ‘He talked about dissent. That really touched me because we’ve been told that dissent is unpatriotic for the last eight years. We’ve had a monkey in office who can’t string a sentence together. Now we’ve got someone who’s gifted and articulate, thoughtful and wise.’

She wasn’t alone in her sentiment. When former President George W. Bush and former Vice President Dick Cheney were introduced along with former presidents Carter, Bush Sr. and Clinton, widespread booing and chants of goodbye songs resonated throughout the Mall.

But the negativity was short lived. This day was about Obama.

Young voters made up much of the crowd . Many said they were excited to be watching the day’s events.

Georgetown University senior George Chipev, 21, and friend Jeremy Long, 27, were ready to party. Armed with a bottle of champagne, they traded swigs while looking back on the day’s events as the crowd of millions dispersed.

‘Our campus gym was open today and I was called in to work,’ said Chipev. ‘I said there was no way in hell I’m coming.’

Long spoke with the authority of a man on the edge of ‘young voter’ status.

‘I was here four years ago for the inauguration, and it was completely different. The environment of Barack has created so much buzz. It hasn’t even materialized — it’s just a buzz,’ he said.

And it wasn’t just the champagne.