Marshall’s powerful purr darkens soul classics

By By Alison Smyth

If you can say one thing about Cat Power’s Chan Marshall, it’s that she loves her covers. This… If you can say one thing about Cat Power’s Chan Marshall, it’s that she loves her covers. This third collection of covers Marshall has produced surely will not be the last. Luckily, she puts the cover concept to good use. Despite the borrowed lyrics and tunes, each note becomes Marshall’s own, without question. One listen to that soulful croon is all that’s needed to prove her individuality as an artist. In the past, Chan Marshall has interpreted the hits of Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, James Brown and Joni Mitchell. She leaves distinctly dissimilar songs weaved together with her folk-rock edge in her wake. Now, with Dark End of the Street – EP, Cat Power brings out the soul, taking some ’60s classics by Aretha Franklin and Otis Redding, as well as the much-covered rock song ‘Fortunate Son,’ and creating a calming and cohesive record. The six-song EP carries with it a clear musical flavor: simple, yet complex. With nothing more than Marshall’s voice and a few fleeting organ or guitar notes to accompany her, she does not assail the listener with unnecessary noise. This simplicity leaves only her voice and music for your quiet contemplation. Cat Power’s slow and soulful songs fill the empty spaces in your mind and make for restful sessions of your own interpretations. Upon hearing the first few bars of James Carr’s ‘Dark End of the Street,’ listeners can relax into a time when music was richer and more emotional. But Cat Power’s style grounds you to the present music scene without the loss of the music’s original concept. The tempos remain slow and steady, with the same instrumental accompaniment throughout. Taking a page out of the classic soul book that inspired her covers, Marshall uses her backup to full effect, never leaving out a sound that belongs in the mix. Vocals are clearly the most important element to the general tone of the record. Even the light and raspy notes sound heavy against the sparse background of instrumental music. The notes hold strong in front of piano and strings or guitar and simple drumbeats. Her notes might come out in delightful, melodic rasps, but Chan Marshall never lacks for power or presence. Instead, her muted tones intensify the mood, with a style that’s neither abrasive nor inhibited. That soft power creates a balance between the sleepy tunes of the folk-influenced and the deliberate hush of soul style. Cat Power takes nothing for granted in her melding of personal style and well-established familiarity. She makes her inspirations known without her music feeling forced or half-hearted. Covers make for dicey territory for musicians. For most, there would be the potential for failure, of not living up to the high standards of the greats. But with such clear originality showing through another’s works, Marshall has no fear. Covers can be hit or miss for an artist, but for Chan Marshall, she’s hit the mark, and they’re making her voice sound loud and clear. You can’t deny that she’s got style.