Winter hats can be cool while keeping heads warm

By Julia Nauer

As I walk to class on blustery, bone-chilling days, I can’t help but realize that there is a… As I walk to class on blustery, bone-chilling days, I can’t help but realize that there is a cold-weather necessity missing from my wardrobe.’ I have multiple coats, scarves, boots and sweaters to shield myself from the cold temperature, and my hands are tightly tucked away in my pockets, but my poor ears are left to fend for themselves in the freezing Pittsburgh air. I need a hat. I need a hat that doesn’t make me look completely goofy, matches most of my coats and is relatively stylish. Luckily for me, there is no shortage of caps this winter. I decided to get a head start by checking out some of my favorite Web sites. Chickdowntown.com served as an excellent starting point for my hat search. Three hats by Victor Osborne caught my eye right away. The Black Cloche hat, styled with a chic, 1920s feel, would be reminiscent of a character straight out of ‘The Great Gatsby’ if the book had been set during the winter instead of the summer. Inky black fur felt is cut into an asymmetrical silhouette, trimmed with a wide ribbon and topped with a handmade rosette. The Bronze Casablanca Hat moves into the 1930s, channeling old Hollywood glamour into another asymmetrical cloche in a topaz bronze hue accessorized by a smooth black leather band.’ The third hat by Victor Osborne, the Black Chevron Grecko, is an update on the classic Greek fisherman’s hat. Accented with brass studs, the textured wool is banded in shimmering grosgrain ribbon. However, cashmere skullcaps by Vince are a more streamlined option from chickdowntown.com. Luxurious and soft, these caps come in beautiful green tea and amethyst shades that are sure to pair well with multiple coats.’ While my browsing efforts at chickdowntown.com bore plentiful inspiration, the price tag is still hefty. I moved over to shopbop.com just to check things out, and what I find is puzzling, exciting and eccentric.’ Queen of ‘folk-rock chic’ Anna Sui has designed a crocheted hat with a rosette detail and tulle trim that sits at the base of a detachable feather brooch. Free People covers all the basics with its adorable pink, fine-knit Fuzzy Intarsia Earflap Hat, complete with a tassel at the crown and braided tassels hanging from the ears and the Rasta Stripe Hat with a striped-knit, black, blue and green hat, finished off with a mini 2-inch brim.’ Mara Hoffman’s Hat with Attached Scarf is quite possibly the most bizarre hat I’ve seen. The knit hat with braided band detail will have you looking like some sort of pseudo-stylish medieval knight. I don’t recommend this one. Looking for some more entertainment, I moved right along to fredflare.com, and I wasn’t disappointed. I immediately stumbled across the Cupcake Beanie. And while I’m an avid cupcake enthusiast, I cannot imagine transforming my head to resemble this sweet confection. It’s both cute and ridiculous with its frosting, sprinkles and cherry pom-pom.’ The Red Plaid Scotty Hat aims to make golfers on their last leg look fashionable again with black crocheted trim and a big, black pom-pom topper.’ The Oversize Olive Button Beret is a winner with wooden buttons accenting its ‘poetic style.’ And in case your hat tends to fly off your head in heavy winds, fredflare.com has the answer for you in the form of the Gray Majorette Hat. The thick acrylic knit comes with a chinstrap and wooden button-closure.’ Urban Outfitters wins my vote in terms of selection, price and style. Although they’re not exactly winter hats, UO’s cocktail hats make me want to travel back in time to when chic toppers were the norm.’ Vintage-inspired with ‘coordinating embellishments’ in blue, garnet and black, these pretty hats have hidden combs to keep them in place. And another version with an all-over leopard print accented by a side button detail reminds me of a funkier Jackie O. The Faux Fur Pillbox Hat, described as ‘seriously soft and warm,’ lets you discover your inner Eskimo. The light brown camel color comes lined in silk, while the brown is lined with comfortable fleece.’ It’s easy to keep those ears under wraps when you buy the wool Earflap Cadet trimmed in faux fur and lined in satin in either black, olive or brown plaid.’ And OK, I know its not actually a hat, but the Sweater Floral Earwarmer lets you be a flowerchild all year round in this sweet-styled headband ear warmer in creme, gray, black or jade.’ Well, now that I’ve seen a multitude of options, my head is spinning, but my ears will soon be grateful.