Panthers take Legend’s tourney

By Adam Littman

NEWARK, N.J.- After sitting center DeJuan Blair in a win against Belmont, the Pitt men’s… NEWARK, N.J.- After sitting center DeJuan Blair in a win against Belmont, the Pitt men’s basketball team traveled to New Jersey at full health for the first time all year. That health helped lead Pitt to a dominating performance in the second-ever Legend’s Classic. Blair missed the game last Tuesday with a swollen knee, but he said he could’ve played and his absence was more precautionary than anything else. Conversely, the Panthers welcomed back sophomore swingman Gilbert Brown, who had missed every game of the season so far with a stress fracture in his left foot. ‘He brings some athleticism to the team,’ said Levance Fields. Brown played each of Pitt’s last three games, looking like the same explosive player who started 15 games last year for No. 4 Pitt. ‘It was good to see him play,’ said Pitt coach Jamie Dixon. ‘I’m really comfortable with him out there.’ Luckily for Pitt, Brown came back just in time to play against the best competition it has seen so far this year. The Panthers (7-0) took home the trophy of the tournament, defeating Washington State on Saturday night 57-43. Texas Tech bested Mississippi State 77-73 in the consolation game. ‘These are four very good teams,’ said Dixon. ‘I wouldn’t be surprised if all four teams made the NCAA Tournament.’ Sam Young won tournament most valuable player honors, while Blair made the all-tournament team. Texas Tech’s Trevor Cook, Mississippi State’s Kodi Augustus and Washington State’s Klay Thompson finished out the team. Not only did the tournament allow the Panthers to play against tougher opponents than it had seen thus far, but it showed their versatility as they were able to defeat both the highest scoring team in the Big 12 (Texas Tech) and the top defensive team in the Pac-10 (Washington State). ‘Right now we’re doing enough to get a win, but we’ve got a lot of improvements to make,’ said Young. ‘We haven’t reached our full potential. We’re not even close to our peak.’ Pitt is back in action Wednesday night when Duquesne comes to the Pete for the annual City Game. Tip off is at 7 p.m. Pitt 80, Texas Tech 67 The Red Raiders hung around with the Panthers throughout much of the first half, leading 27-24 with about four and a half minutes to go. But Pitt soon took the lead for good after Young drove to the basket and passed to Tyrell Biggs for a wide open dunk. Young then hit a 3-pointer to give Pitt a 29-27 advantage. Pitt ended the half on a 13-0 run, capped by a layup by Jermaine Dixon, who went under the hoop and tossed the ball high off the glass. ‘To end like that in the first half was a big boost for us,’ said Blair. The Red Raiders (6-1) cut the lead down to three early in the second half but just couldn’t overcome the deficit. Young led all scorers with 24 points, and he also had eight rebounds and four assists. Blair hauled in 11 rebounds to go with his 15 points. Brown was the only other Panther in double-figures, scoring 10. Brown also pulled down eight rebounds, as did Biggs. Pitt had 16 turnovers and 16 assists. ‘We could’ve cut down on the turnovers,’ said Dixon. ‘That was a bit uncharacteristic for us.’ Pitt 57, Washington State 43 For lovers of offense, this was a hideous game. But for the Panthers and Cougars (5-1), this was the type of game both teams were built for: a low-scoring game in which practically no shot went uncontested. ‘They want to have the ball more than you,’ said Dixon. ‘They have a football mentality.’ The Panthers finished the game with more combined blocks and steals (19) than made field goals (17). The Panthers led 26-23 at the half ‘mdash; their smallest halftime lead of the year. The Panthers started the second half off with a 14-4 run, capped off by a one-handed slam by Brown, who finished with six points off the bench. ‘You could see us getting better, getting smarter as the game went on,’ said Dixon. Young once again led the team in scoring, netting 15 points and pulling down eight rebounds. Fields finished with 14 points, hitting a few big shots down the stretch to clinch the title. After a 3-pointer by Daven Harmeling cut the Panther lead to six, Fields answered right back with a jumper, and on the next possession, a 3-pointer of his own to give Pitt an 11-point lead.