In memoriam: Vice Chancellor Ana Guzman

By Halyse Domencic

‘ ‘ ‘ Armed with determination, sophistication and high heals, Ana Guzman had a smile that… ‘ ‘ ‘ Armed with determination, sophistication and high heals, Ana Guzman had a smile that knocked foremen off their feet. ‘ ‘ ‘ As the University of Pittsburgh’s vice chancellor of facilities management, she commanded a great deal of respect beneath her hard hat-covered golden hair. ‘ ‘ ‘ After a brief illness, Guzman died last Monday at UPMC Presbyterian. ‘ ‘ ‘ The architect presided over the development of all five Pitt campuses and the $2 billion worth of new construction from 1996 until her retirement in 2005. As the first woman to be invited into the Association of University Architects and serving as its president from 1995 to 1996, Guzman broke gender barriers in an ocean of men in hard hats. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘It is impossible to overstate the value of her contributions to the University,’ said Chancellor Mark Nordenberg in a news release. ‘In fact, her impact was so significant that I used to refer to her, both publicly and privately, as ‘Saint Ana,’ a title reflecting the enormous respect she had earned throughout the University community.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Guzman first came to Pittsburgh in 1967 and was hired by Carnegie Mellon University. In 1978, she joined Pitt as a project manager. ‘ ‘ ‘ Her artistry is showcased by Biomedical Science Tower 3, the restoration of Alumni Hall and the Petersen Events Center. ‘ ‘ ‘ She also planned campus beautification projects, including working on the lush transformation of a parking lot into Schenley Plaza. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Everywhere you turn on Pitt’s campuses, you see a gift that was Ana’s,’ said Jerome Cochran, Pitt’s executive vice chancellor, in a news release. ‘ ‘ ‘ Guzman is survived by her husband, Alberto Guzman, son Javier Guzman, daughter Ana Cecilia Quezada, five grandchildren, two sisters, a brother and a sister-in-law. ‘ ‘ ‘ A public memorial service was held in Heinz Chapel at noon on Dec. 5 to celebrate Guzman’s life. Contributions may be made to the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank in lieu of flowers.