Slates found not guilty on both accounts

By Simone Cheatham

The SGB elections committee found two slates not guilty of violating advertising and affiliation… The SGB elections committee found two slates not guilty of violating advertising and affiliation rules last night. Joe Rendemonti, a candidate for SGB membership on the Revolution slate, had filed a complaint against SGB slates One Vision One Voice and One Passion One Pride for potential online advertising and affiliation violations on Monday. He also announced these allegations in an open letter The Pitt News received on Monday. Rendemonti, a student in the School of Engineering,’ accused the two slates of violating election policies that state that slates cannot be affiliated with each other in any way. Rendemonti alleged that the groups One Vision One Voice and One Passion One Pride violated advertising and affiliation rules by having each other listed in the ‘related groups’ boxes on their Facebook pages. Had the groups been found guilty, their actions would have violated SGB’s rule 211.06, which states, ‘The code establishes as law that no official slate Web site or online group may link to another official slate Web site or online group, or in any way affiliate itself with another slate.’ Patrick Moroney, SGB’s elections committee chair, said in an e-mail last night that both slates were found not guilty of the charges. ‘Basically, we found that a related Facebook group is out of the control of the actual group,’ said Moroney. ‘It just comes up, and the groups have no way to prevent groups that pop up.’ Lance Bonner and Kate Marchetti are running as candidates for the board on the One Vision One Voice slate, and junior Kevin Morrison is the slate’s candidate for SGB president. Andrew Freeman, Alexa Jennings and Max Greenwald are running for board positions on One Passion One Pride.