Pitt and the president

By Dana Edmunds

What’s new in politics this week? Pitt students lined up from as early as 7 a.m. at their local… What’s new in politics this week? Pitt students lined up from as early as 7 a.m. at their local Oakland precinct Tuesday to cast their vote for the next president. Last night, The Pitt News Focus Group sat down to discuss voting on Nov. 4 and how the student vote made a difference in the election. What do students think? Megan Black: The line at Soldiers ‘amp; Sailors at one point was three hours long, but a lot of the students were saying upon interviewing that it was worth waiting in line because the opposing candidates’ voters were doing the same thing … [Poll watchers] said this has been the most important election and this is the highest voter turnout they’ve seen in years … We showed up in the primaries, and I definitely feel like we showed up today and voiced our opinion. Carrie Weintraub: The lines were very long [Tuesday] … however, there were people in those lines that said that regardless of who I’m voting for, change is coming, and that’s what’s important to me. It’s not necessarily that my candidate gets elected, it’s that a candidate is elected and that my voice is heard as a citizen and youth in this democracy, and I can bring about change in our nation, whether it be with McCain or Obama. Josh Vezza: It was really nice to see so many people voting today. I feel like everybody on campus was voting … It was that kind of dedication to really do this for your country that was just enlightening to me … I really think it’s amazing to see [that] this many people our age are so involved and truly care about what’s going on in our country, because I feel like our age group gets pegged as ‘not caring’ and just ‘hands off’ in any type of political arena or agenda, and it’s just really great to see so many people who are young that are making an effort to have an impact and make a difference. Katie O’Toole: I thought that it was great that even though the lines were very long, there was food and candy that were given to the student voters. I just thought that was encouraging, because if I was waiting in a two-hour line, more of an incentive would be nice. You know you’re hungry, you’re tired, so I thought that was really nice.