PSO backs Broadway star this weekend

By Katie Blemler

‘ ‘ ‘ Few cover artists have garnered the attention of the artists who have influenced them… ‘ ‘ ‘ Few cover artists have garnered the attention of the artists who have influenced them like Michael Cavanaugh. ‘ ‘ ‘ When Billy Joel came to see him perform, Cavanaugh got the surprise of a lifetime. ‘He was planning on staying about 15 minutes,’ said Cavanaugh. ‘After watching me for about an hour, he joined me onstage for a couple of songs. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘That was a pretty good day for me,’ said Cavanaugh. ‘ ‘ ‘ From that meeting, Joel saw potential in Cavanaugh’s skills as pianist and singer and chose him to star in the Broadway musical ‘Movin’ Out,’ showcasing an array of Joel’s songs. ‘ ‘ ‘ After headlining ‘Movin’ Out’ for its entire run ‘mdash; from early 2002 until late 2005 ‘mdash; the Broadway star is now touring for symphony performances.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Cavanaugh’s next stop is at Pittsburgh’s Heinz Hall, accompanied by the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, for a four-day run. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Audiences should expect to be entertained,’ said Cavanaugh. ‘They will see a high-energy show that is very interactive with the crowd, and it will be songs they’ll know and love.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ These famous songs include ‘Crocodile Rock’ by Elton John, ‘Lucille’ by Little Richard, ‘Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On’ and ‘Great Balls of Fire’ by Jerry Lee Lewis and of course several of Joel’s hits ‘mdash; ‘New York State of Mind,’ ‘Piano Man,’ ‘It’s Still Rock N Roll,’ ‘Just the Way You Are’ and others. ‘ ‘ ‘ Cavanaugh is excited to perform all of the songs on the program, but has a soft spot for anything Joel. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I like them all but [am] very partial to Billy Joel,’ he said. ‘I have been playing his music since before I was a teenager.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Two of his favorite songs that will appear on the PSO schedule include Joel’s ‘She’s Got a Way’ and ‘Scenes From an Italian Restaurant.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I like [‘She’s Got a Way’] so much I reinterpreted it and put it on my new album,’ said Cavanaugh. ”Scenes From an Italian Restaurant’ never gets old.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ The four-day show will feature not only Cavanaugh, but also the music of the PSO, led by conductor Steven Reineke. ‘ ‘ ‘ Reineke is the principal pops conductor of the Modesto Symphony Orchestra and works as music associate and principal arranger/composer of the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Reineke’s work ‘mdash; written and arranged for numerous orchestras ‘mdash; is available on Cincinnati Pops recordings and has even been televised on PBS. ‘ ‘ ‘ Recently, he traveled nationwide to serve as guest conductor for orchestras in Atlanta, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Detroit, Edmonton, Indianapolis, Toronto and even New York City’s Carnegie Hall ‘mdash; for the New York Pops 25th birthday gala. ‘ ‘ ‘ Joining the dynamic duo of Cavanaugh and Reineke are the musicians of the PSO. ‘ ‘ ‘ The renowned PSO currently employs world-famous musical composer Marvin Hamlisch, who acts as the principal pops conductor. ‘ ‘ ‘ Although Cavanaugh had a wonderful experience as the lead in ‘Movin’ Out,’ he is happy to be back to his musical roots through his latest symphony tours. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I really enjoy the symphony shows, because musically it is amazing,’ he said. ‘It really allows me to showcase not only my musical ability, but also my showmanship.” ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I also love the fact this is my own show and the public response has been incredible,’ he added. ‘ ‘ ‘ After his extensive touring schedule, Cavanaugh plans to perform at private and corporate events, while developing both a Vegas show as well as a new symphony show called ‘Generations of Rock ‘amp; Roll.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ His newest album, set for release on Nov. 25, will be available for pre-sale purchase at the PSO shows this week ‘mdash; another perk to stopping by one of the shows.