Pittsburgh organizations keep Jazz alive

By by Sarah Simkin

‘ ‘ ‘ To say that Pittsburgh is no longer a simple industrial town is a dramatic… ‘ ‘ ‘ To say that Pittsburgh is no longer a simple industrial town is a dramatic understatement. Jazz, hailed by some as America’s answer to classical music, flourishes prolifically here. ‘ ‘ ‘ Many jazz legends including Billy Eckstein, Billy Strayhorn, Errol Garner and Lena Horne, found their starts in Pittsburgh. ‘ ‘ ‘ There are multiple organizations based in Pittsburgh that focus on introducing younger generations to jazz music and supporting the jazz community. These organizations host dozens of jazz concerts and related programs that go on every month. ‘ ‘ ‘ The Manchester Craftsmen’s Guild, a subdivision of the Manchester Bidwell Corp. founded by Pitt alumnus Bill Strickland, is dedicated to the use of visual and performing arts to provide hope and opportunities in the urban community. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We have activities going on here on a regular basis, both concerts and educational programs,’ said Renee Govanucci, MCG Jazz’s associate producer. ‘Our mission statement is to preserve, present and promote jazz, and we do that in a variety of ways.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ MCG Jazz’s commitment to the preservation of jazz history led to the creation of an archive containing more than 300 CD recordings of regional and national performers. ‘ ‘ ‘ Since 1987 MCG Jazz has been an important part of the Pittsburgh jazz community and culture, running performances and recordings in its music hall and educational programs that enable students to attend concerts with low-priced or free tickets. ‘ ‘ ‘ It also plans a number of other events for the jazz community. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We’re in the middle of two big activities right now: our gala [in honor of Pittsburgh’s 250th anniversary and Manchester Bidwell’s 40th anniversary], and a professional development day for area music educators,’ said Amy Constantine-Kline, MCG Jazz’s customer relations manager. ‘ ‘ ‘ Jazz Workshop Inc., founded in 1973, focuses on the positive effects of music on children and works to supplement inner-city music education programs through the promotion of jazz. Harold Young, the founder and executive director of the Jazz Workshop Inc., spoke about the objectives of the organization, saying, ‘Our main focus and mission is to provide music education for underserved communities in the Pittsburgh area, to make sure that music doesn’t die out, particularly jazz.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ The non-profit organization utilizes space at the Carnegie Library’s Homewood site to offer classes in instruments, voice and dance throughout the year for all age groups in addition to performances by students and local artists. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘People may not have the resources to go out and purchase music lessons for themselves, so we try to provide for those who fall in the cracks to make sure that they get the same quality music education,’ said Young, referring to the Jazz Workshop Inc.’s lesson program. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Our major goal is to make sure that jazz continues to be focused on as an art form and to grow within minority communities as well as other communities.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ The Jazz Workshop Inc., also sponsors several weekly events from September to June, including a talent night every Tuesday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at 604 Homewood Ave. and Jazz Ensemble and Improvisational performances every Saturday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. at 7101 Hamilton Ave. ‘ ‘ ‘ Jazz for tots and family nights are also run in addition to ongoing outreach children’s programs in housing project areas. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We do programs like Jazz on the Steps and Jazz in the Park every summer with artists from all over the city performing for us. There’s no cost for that, so that we’re able to continue to have jazz in the community so that younger people can listen to it and understand this music,’ said Young. ‘ ‘ ‘ The Pittsburgh Jazz Society, established in 1987, describes itself on its Web site as ‘dedicated to the promotion, preservation and perpetuation of all jazz.’ The non-profit organization accomplishes that goal through concerts and various education and community outreach programs. Members of the society receive quarterly newsletters and advance notice of concerts and other jazz events. ‘ ‘ ‘ Concerts hosted by the PJS’s founder and current president Tony Mowod take place every Sunday night at the Rhythm House Cafe in Bridgeville. ‘ ‘ ‘ The Pittsburgh Jazz Society Big Band program provides opportunities for talented young musicians. In addition to other special performances throughout the year, the PJS hosts an annual Winter Jazz Festival every February. ‘ ‘ ‘ Former members of the segregated musicians union, Local 471, created The African-American Jazz Preservation Society of Pittsburgh in 1996. ‘ ‘ ‘ The organization sponsors intergenerational performances and works to promote music education and advocacy in addition to its focus on collecting oral history interviews with local jazz legends and historical jazz documentations and artifacts. ‘ ‘ ‘ AAJPSP sponsors periodical tour series including musical performances, lectures and historical photo displays and publishes a newsletter twice a year, the Pittsburgh Jazz Notes. AAJPSP’s programs include Jazz Appreciation Month every April, a series of activities encouraging community participation in jazz for both musicians and listeners. ‘ ‘ ‘ Many of these organizations have philanthropic aims, particularly with regard to fostering a love of jazz in the city’s youth population, but they also provide listening and performing opportunities for veteran jazz lovers. ‘ ‘ ‘ Despite ‘mdash; or perhaps because of’mdash; the multitude of jazz organizations within the city, there is some discontent with the lack of unity of the performing aspect of the Pittsburgh jazz community, and particularly with the tendency of repetitive performances of older musicians at the established venues rather than experimenting with new music and younger artists.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘The jazz community needs to be more open for all of us. It can be like a clique with the same people performing all the time. The community needs to broaden in terms of the people who perform, and we’re working toward that.’ said Ed Skirtich, the artistic director at Jazz Workshop Inc. ‘ ‘ ‘ At the same time, he said, ‘We can compete with any city in the country or across the globe as far as talent, we have some superb musicians in this city and a lot of potential.’