Political groups prepare for final poll: Republicans show film, invite speaker

By Molly Stieber

‘ ‘ ‘ The College Republicans are soliciting speakers, and Rep. Tim Murphy, who represents… ‘ ‘ ‘ The College Republicans are soliciting speakers, and Rep. Tim Murphy, who represents Pennsylvania’s 18th district, has visited them. ‘ ‘ ‘ But their main concern right now is ensuring that Sen. John McCain wins the presidential election. ‘ ‘ ‘ With the election so close, the College Republicans have been very busy, said the group’s president, Pat Graham. In September, the group held Straight Talk Express on Fifth Avenue. Volunteers and club members helped hand out signs, stickers and other McCain paraphernalia, said Graham. ‘ ‘ ‘ The club, which consists of about 400 undergraduate and graduate students, recently held a showing of the movie ‘Hype: The Obama Effect.’ The event was open to the public. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘The movie shows how [Sen. Barack] Obama has no real substantial values, his lack of a political record and how the things he says in his campaign he wants to do simply won’t work,’ said Graham. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘[The film] is an analysis about how Obama and his campaign are just that: hype.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ The College Republicans, Graham said, will hold a second showing of the film in the next few weeks. ‘ ‘ ‘ The group, he added, is intent on making sure that students know about McCain and what he stands for. ‘ ‘ ‘ The College Republicans and the College Democrats held an event in Panther Hall this past Wednesday evening. The College Republicans represented McCain, and the College Democrats represented Obama. Both groups encouraged students attending the event to ask questions about each candidate. ‘ ‘ ‘ Students will also have the opportunity to learn about the candidates on Monday, Oct. 27, when the College Democrats and College Republicans debate at 8:45 p.m. in the William Pitt Union Ballroom. ‘ ‘ ‘ Graham said student organizations are encouraged to submit questions to the Student Vote Coalition. Some of their questions will be used during the debate.