Keira Knightley shines as scorned Duchess

By Katie Blemler

‘ ‘ ‘ She enters with a dress wider than a Ringling Bros. circus tent, hair higher than Marge… ‘ ‘ ‘ She enters with a dress wider than a Ringling Bros. circus tent, hair higher than Marge Simpson’s and a pout juicier than Angelina’s. No, it’s not Paris Hilton arriving on the red carpet for the premiere of her new show ‘mdash; it’s Keira Knightley as the Duchess of Devonshire. ‘ ‘ ‘ Knightley shines as Georgiana Cavendish in the period piece ‘The Duchess.’ The film recounts the story of the 18th-century wife of William Cavendish, Duke of Devonshire (Ralph Fiennes), as she is forced to live as a prisoner within her own home. ‘ ‘ ‘ Georgiana realizes, after less than a day as the duchess, that the husband she was hoping for will not appear in the form of the duke. His temperament is unruly and he is unfaithful, yet as a woman living in the 1700s, Georgiana’s voice is stifled within the vaulted ceilings and ornate walls of their estate, forbidding her to act against his injustices. ‘ ‘ ‘ To the duke, Georgiana is nothing more than the necessary instrument in ensuring a male heir. But, adding considerable tension to their relationship, the births of two daughters supersede those of two stillborn sons, thwarting the couple’s attempts at producing the next duke. ‘ ‘ ‘ As years pass, Georgiana’s happiness fades, while the duke’s aloofness increases as quickly as his accumulation of mistresses. His emotionless facade is not only directed toward his wife, but also toward the daughters he never wished for, supporting the chauvinistic cloud overshadowing the years of his reign. ‘ ‘ ‘ Knightley’s piercing portrayal of the duchess carries the story of the film, shedding light on the revolutionary ideals and hopes that the woman possessed, even while the inequality and intolerance of the time prevented her from making her views known. ‘ ‘ ‘ Although there are never overly unexpected surprises, the changes Georgiana stood for in a time when it was unfavorable to do so make the story poignant. ‘ ‘ ‘ The prevalence of elaborate costumes and enormous hairdos gives the story authenticity,’ strengthening its success in transporting the audience 250 years into the past. The camera remains at the mile-long dinner table just long enough to give the viewer a glimpse into the life of aristocracy, and it lingers throughout royal parties as an unnoticed guest, offering the audience a peak into the lives of the privileged. ‘ ‘ ‘ The message of the film is nothing new: Women in the past had to suffer to ensure women of today an entitlement to the same freedoms as men. ‘ ‘ ‘ Every piece of the film works together to form a complete portrait of the life of the duchess. From the emotional soundtrack to the crisp lighting, each aspect contributes to the successful form of storytelling.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ It is the acting, above all else, that ensures the success of ‘The Duchess.’ Although the characters whom Knightley and Fiennes’ portray are an awful marital fit, they complement each other nicely for the tone of the film. The supporting actors (Hayley Atwell of this summer’s independent period piece, ‘Brideshead Revisited’ and Dominic Cooper, from the movie rendition of Broadway’s ‘Mamma Mia!’) add significant depth to the film as well. ‘ ‘ ‘ Atwell and Cooper represent the lovers of the duke and duchess, respectively, and they add spice to the mix of characters. Atwell portrays Lady Bess Foster, a mother of three boys, who represents the devoted mother willing to compromise anything in order to salvage a relationship with her children. And Cooper plays Charles Grey, an ambitious young politician who acts as the much-needed voice of change and later becomes Britain’s prime minister. ‘ ‘ ‘ Although Bess and Charles symbolize the sex scandals coming between the marriage of the duke and duchess, both are able to retain likeability. Even Georgiana can relate to the motives of Bess by the film’s end, and Charles provides Georgiana with her only realization of true love. ‘ ‘ ‘ By maintaining an air of emotional honesty and a sense of truth to the era, ‘The Duchess’ allows viewers to enter a time period of intricately detailed fashion and beautifully decorated castles. It also allows the audience to rise above the superficial indulgences of the aristocracy and see the period for its negative aspects, such as the ability of men to manipulate the lives of women, as well.