Stull OK, sidelined indefinitely

By Zach Chakan

Pitt junior quarterback Bill Stull was hurt on Saturday with 5:59 remaining in the third quarter… Pitt junior quarterback Bill Stull was hurt on Saturday with 5:59 remaining in the third quarter in Pitt’s 54-34 loss to Rutgers. Stull’s neck had to be immobilized, and he was carted off the field on a stretcher after being down on the field for about 10 minutes. It looked as though he wasn’t moving, but he raised his arm and gave a thumbs up as he was taken off the field. Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt said that tests done on Stull showed no severe injury and that the starting quarterback will be all right. Sophomore backup Pat Bostick will fill in for Stull as he remains out of the lineup indefinitely. ‘The big concern was the neck,’ said Wannstedt. ‘He was moving everything initially, and he was conscious initially. I thought our doctors and paramedics did a great job of not taking any chances.’ Stull stayed overnight Saturday at UPMC Presbyterian in Oakland with his family and was released yesterday morning. The play occurred midway through the third quarter with Pitt trailing, 41-31. On a third-and-12, Stull was heavily rushed by Rutgers defensive back David Rowe. Stull threw a hurried pass in the direction of Cedric McGee, which fell incomplete. But Rowe hit Stull, and his neck snapped backward and smacked off of running back LeSean McCoy. Everyone on both sidelines came to a knee while trainers attended to Stull, and a loud cheer erupted when Stull flashed his arm upward. The extent of Stull’s injury and how much time he will miss is not known at this time. Stull was replaced by sophomore Pat Bostick, and Bostick will start at Notre Dame next week if Stull can’t play. The news isn’t as great for Pitt center Robb Houser. The junior-college transfer was injured while getting blocked on a Rutgers interception return. He was helped off the field and didn’t return. Houser was supposed to have an MRI taken yesterday, but Wannstedt didn’t sound optimistic after the game. ‘I think he may have a break in his leg ‘- his ankle,’ said Wannstedt. ‘We’ll know for sure [Sunday].’ Houser will likely be out the remainder of the season if his injury is that severe. C.J. Davis would replace Houser, and senior guard Dom Williams would take Davis’ spot at left guard.