Tights bring summer style into fall fashion

By Julia Nauer

Now that the weather’s getting a little chillier, what’s a girl to do with her poor bare legs… Now that the weather’s getting a little chillier, what’s a girl to do with her poor bare legs peeking out under her skirts and dresses?’ Wear tights, of course! Tights are the perfect cold weather complement to expand your summer and fall wardrobe well into winter, and they are an easy way to update your look quickly and inexpensively. They also look absolutely trendy with ladylike high-waisted skirts and ruffled blouses to evoke a feminine ’40s and ’50s feel.’ I used to think that stockings and pantyhose were interchangeable words, but after some quick research I’ve discovered that stockings are two individual articles of clothing (one for each leg) that are usually held up by a garter belt or other means. Pantyhose, or tights, are the more modern version, apparently combining the words ‘panties’ and ‘hosiery.’ Pantyhose can elicit some pretty negative connotations: itchy, binding, old-fashioned, boring. But kick those thoughts to the curb because the tights on the market right now are not yo’ mama’s hose. If you travel to The Galleria in Mt. Lebanon or just peruse Anthropologie.com, you’ll find that Anthropologie features one of the widest selections of color and patterns that you’ve ever seen of tights.’ Patterns range from tiny white bows on black opaque tights to a brown herringbone tweed pattern. There are polka dots and geometric shapes like lavender diamonds on a sheer, chocolate-colored pair, keeping with the theme of floral for fall and winter. Anthropologie also carries a dark opaque tight decorated with a pretty floral pattern that is sure to help your outfit blossom on a depressing winter day.’ Don’t think those will keep you toasty enough? Try the sweater tights in brown, black, navy, white or another version with pointelle arrows in dark gray, moss and rose.’ Looking to attempt the lace trend on a small scale? Try all the pretty crocheted varieties to flash a little leg in a classy way.’ Get back to basics with Anthropologie’s line of essential opaque tights for $12.50. You’ll want one a different candy-colored hue for each day of the week. Colors include navy, turquoise, chartreuse, medium pink rose, light gray, gray, dark gray, dark orange, dark purple, brown, black and sky.’ And flatter your stocking feet with Anthropologie’s frilled ankle boots in red suede, another fun trend for the lower half of your body.’ American Apparel is another top destination for tights in a rainbow of colors. American Apparel’s opaque tights are similar in price to Anthropologie’s, but with names like cappuccino, tango red, mustard, army, asphalt and wild dove the shades are even more interesting. But there are more than just pretty tints to pick. Indulge your inner child with opaque shimmer tights in black, dark gray and pink, or try the sparkle pantyhose with metallic glitter throughout. Channel your inner ’50s pinup girl in sheer back-seam pantyhose in classic black. Get funky in opaque two-toned tights, with each leg a different color in combinations like black/creme, fluorescent yellow/coral and purple/forest. Round out your collection with footless and stirrup varieties.’ American Apparel is also a great place to find leggings of all styles and shades, and with a location right on Forbes you’ve got no reason not to check it out.’ For frugal fashionistas, Target offers virtually the same styles for around $6 as opposed to the $14 and up you might pay for higher-end hose. Target carries thicker sweater tights, shimmery metallics, polka dots and every color of the rainbow. And at that price, you can afford to stock up.’ On the opposite end of the spectrum, this trend is not without high fashion influences. Chanel has been showing two-tone tights emblazoned with the iconic C’s on the ankle, as well as a lace style in its fall print ads. And Wolford, available at Saks Fifth Avenue Downtown, features the same polka dotes, bright blues, thick grays and woven patterns of the more budget-friendly styles.’ This season, virtually every store from J.Crew to Nine West to Forever 21 carries its own version of the trend ensuring you plenty of options as you step out to find the perfect pair of pantyhose. This popularity of this piece of clothing, more than any other, is subject to the skirt length and general feel of the season, so wear it while it lasts. Get a leg up this fall and join the pantyhose parade.