Ellis’ moped accident dumb, but more are at fault

By Adam Littman

One of the many great things about sports is arguing. Nothing makes me happier than a… One of the many great things about sports is arguing. Nothing makes me happier than a rage-induced trip from the dugout by Lou Piniella or Bobby Cox to have a little chat with an umpire. What makes arguing so great is that anyone can do it, although you’re more than welcome to disagree. Athletes and coaches can argue with each other, but fans can also argue with each other while watching games, or while not watching games. Who hasn’t stopped talking to a friend for a few weeks after spending three hours one night trying to convince him that horseshoes would be the greatest sport ever if it were played in outer space, or even on Earth in some sort of no-gravity arena, but he just won’t budge?’ I think the most recent argument without an answer comes from the bay area, and it involves some stupidity. Who is dumber: Golden State Warriors guard Monta Ellis or Warriors president Robert Rowell? In the offseason, Ellis, a 22-year-old who has played for the Warriors for three years, signed a six-year contract worth $66 million. Not only was Ellis entering the season with heftier pockets, but Baron Davis left the Warriors as a free agent, and Ellis was expected to take over the bulk of the point guard duty this year. Ellis signed his contract in June, and in August it was reported that he suffered a severe high ankle sprain and would miss the next three months. Ellis hurt himself in his hometown of Jackson, Miss., and said it happened playing a pick-up game of basketball. The Warriors obviously weren’t happy, not only because the team’s rising star was hurt, but also because people in the organization didn’t think his story made sense. Reports said the Warriors were suspicious because of the severity of the injury and because Ellis had cuts on his leg that aren’t usually injuries sustained on basketball courts. Within a week of that report Ellis admitted that he lied about his injury. So then how did he hurt himself? A moped. On Sept. 24, the San Francisco Chronicle confirmed through a team source that Ellis injured himself in a ‘low-speed’ accident. It’s a good thing to clarify, too. Mopeds today are just flying down the sidewalks, just as long as the sidewalk is slanted downward and there’s a strong wind coming from behind the vehicle.’ Just last week, Rowell suspended Ellis for 30 games without pay. Ellis wasn’t expected to play in any of those games because of injury. So the Warriors, or more appropriately, Rowell, didn’t want to lose money. That’s more than understandable, but wouldn’t some sort of fine work? A 30-game suspension seems a bit harsh. For some perspective, the longest suspension in NBA history is 72 games, which is held by the incomparable Ron Artest. He was suspended for most of the 2004-2005 season after running into the stands in Detroit and fighting fans. Next up is Latrell Sprewell with 68 games. He was suspended in 1997 for choking his coach, PJ Carlesimo, during practice before punching him. Winning the bronze is Stephen Jackson with a 30-game suspension in 2004. Jackson was suspended for fighting fans in the same brawl as Artest, who was at that time his teammate. And now joining this pantheon of punishment is Monta Ellis, who misused a moped. I would fully expect the players union to get that shortened at least a little. Sprewell was initially suspended for 82 games, and the Warriors tried to terminate his contract. Sprewell took his case up with arbitration and got the suspension reduced and his contract back. So if he can get his suspension shortened after choking his coach, Ellis should be able to do the same for a ‘low-speed’ moped accident.’ Of course, it seems like Ellis is much dumber for hurting himself using a moped and costing himself millions of dollars. But the only reason it’s costing him so much is because of Rowell’s stupidity as well. It’s clearly just a power move on his part. He wants the upper hand, and in doing so, he potentially strains the relationship with one of the team’s star players. The Associated Press reported that Warriors basketball executive Chris Mullin and coach Don Nelson were both in favor of allowing Ellis to return to the team without any punishment. Perhaps it isn’t stupidity on Rowell’s part as much as it is pettiness. On one hand, he is running a business and doesn’t want to pay for services he won’t be receiving. On the other, he went overboard with the punishment. If the 30-game suspension stands, it will be a longer suspension than both Kermit Washington and Jermaine O’Neal had in 1977 and 2004, respectively. Washington punched Rudy Tomjanovich during an on-court fight and almost killed him by fracturing his face. O’Neal nearly killed a fan who went on the court in the Artest brawl. Had O’Neal not slipped, I still think’ he would’ve literally knocked off the fan’s head. So that’s what Rowell claims this is worse than: a guy who attacked a fan, and a guy who attacked another player. Ellis better just hope that next time he takes a joy ride he doesn’t let Artest ride shotgun.