Notebook: Wannstedt gets fans’ disgust

By Adam Littman

It’s not the end of the world, much less the season, for Pitt football after its first game of… It’s not the end of the world, much less the season, for Pitt football after its first game of the year. But judging by the reaction to the Panthers’ 27-17 loss to Bowling Green Saturday, it might have been hard to tell that: As the fourth quarter winded down, boos and chants of ‘Fire Wannstedt’ rained in from the crowd. ‘We expected to go out there and play good and win the game, so when people are disappointed, they are going to express it,’ said Wannstedt during his weekly press conference Monday. ‘And that’s part of the business, you know. You’ve got to be able to handle that.’ Wannstedt also said he explained to the team that this you’re-only-as-good-as-your-last-game theory is prevalent in sports among fans, and it’s best to just continue to focus on the team’s next game.’ ‘When things are good, it’s good,’ said Wannstedt. ‘You’re going to get a lot more recognition than probably what you deserve, and when things are bad, it goes the other way. It’s all part of the game.’ Wannstedt even went as far as to say the fan reaction to the game was ‘probably justified.’ A win at home against Buffalo this week wouldn’t just even out Pitt’s record but would also help renew the fans’ hope after starting off a season of high expectations with a loss. Ready to run The Panthers’ top offensive player last year was running back LeSean McCoy, who finished the first week with 71 rushing yards on 23 attempts and one touchdown and five receptions for 45 yards. LaRod Stephens-Howling, the senior running back, also finished with 71 yards on the ground on only seven attempts. ‘Nothing surprises me with LaRod. I’ve been his biggest fan for four years now,’ said Wannstedt. ‘He’s a heck of a player.’ Stephens-Howling only had one rushing attempt in the second half of last week’s game, which Wannstedt said was partly because the team was trying to get McCoy his touches, as well. ‘There’s only one football,’ said Wannstedt. Wannstedt said he expects the Panthers to continue to run the ball instead of trying out a spread offense. ‘We go with no backs and throw the ball, we do some of those things,’ said Wannstedt. ‘But we want to run the football, and I think with the talent we have at running back, that’s more of our focus rather then five-wide. We’re more of a two back or two tight-end set.’ The kids will play Freshman offensive lineman Lucas Nix, who was thought to be competing for the starting job against right tackle Joe Thomas during training camp, didn’t see any action in the season opener. ‘Last week we were looking for opportunities, and it just never came up the way the game unfolded,’ said Wannstedt. The freshman should expect that to change this week. ‘We need to get him in the game,’ said Wannstedt. ‘He will play this week regardless. We need to get him on the field and get him some playing time.’ He also said freshmen linebackers Greg Williams, Brandon Lindsey and Tristan Roberts will continue to see time because of injuries. All played last week, with Roberts recording one tackle. Wannstedt also said he expects freshman wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin to see more action this week. And the starting outside linebackers are … Well, Wannstedt hasn’t said just yet. Senior Adam Gunn left last week’s game with a concussion and didn’t return, while junior Shane Murray didn’t play at all because of a knee injury. Wannstedt said both are day-to-day and is hopeful that Gunn will be able to play on Saturday. Austin Ransom, a senior who was moved to defense this year after spending time on the special teams unit and working with wide receivers, started last week for Murray. Williams also saw a lot of time at linebacker once Gunn had to leave, splitting snaps with sophomore Nate Nix.