E-ZBorrow replaces hold and recall system

By Kyle Kramer

Changes in the University Library System’s hold and recall system are meant to make it easier… Changes in the University Library System’s hold and recall system are meant to make it easier for students to get the books they need, but so far, the new system hasn’t garnered praise so much as complaints at the check-out desks. As part of the ongoing effort to keep Pitt’s library system up to date, the University Library System is dropping its old hold and recall system for the new E-ZBorrow system, said Anne McLeod, head of Hillman Access Services.’ The E-ZBorrow system networks more than 60 libraries in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and West Virginia, creating a book lending community.’ By networking regional libraries, the system benefits students by allowing them to request a book online and to receive it within seven days from one of the libraries in the community.’ With the research libraries of Penn State, Temple University, University of Pennsylvania and Rutgers all included in the network, out of stock at Hillman doesn’t mean Pitt students are out of luck. In the past, students shared the books, whether they wanted to or not, because of the nature of the old hold and recall system, said Lois Kepes, assistant head of the Graduate School of Public and International Affairs/Economics library. The E-ZBorrow brochure boasts greater availability of high-demand titles, which would reduce what Kepes calls recall ‘tag.’ However, when it comes to popular textbooks, said McLeod, it is possible that all copies in all E-ZBorrow libraries could be tied up. Students who are left without a library copy of the book they need are the ones who pay high textbook prices, said Kepes.’ ‘ Kepes witnessed two graduate students who entered into a heated argument at her check-out desk as an example of the struggle to not pay for books. They argued about who had the right to check out the book, both giving reasons as to why they should not be the one to pay for it, said Kepes. The only deciding factor was who got there first. Kepes has witnessed an array of E-ZBorrow customers, ranging from irritated professors to satisfied students and graduates who argue at her counter ‘mdash; not to mention the many who have yet to decide whether they think the new system is fair. McLeod, as well as other Pitt librarians, remains confident in the change.’ ‘My experience is that, if a student has not used E-ZBorrow, once they do use it, and see how fast their book comes in, they are likely to use it more,’ said McLeod. In the old system, a student could request the recall of a book checked out by another student. This expedited the return of the book, shortening the checkout time to two weeks.’ Students also had the option of placing a hold on a book. Holds guaranteed the availability of the book for that student, as soon as it was returned, but the exchange could take up to four weeks.’ ‘ E-ZBorrow replaces both these options, a change that is causing friction where students and faculty are concerned, according to Kepes. According to Kepes, the new system allows one student to hold onto one particular book for an entire semester, creating competition for books in high demand.’ Only professors still have the right to reserve books for their classes, said Kepes. ‘The people who like it are the ones who get the syllabus first and are really on the ball,’ said Kepes. ‘The people who don’t are the ones who aren’t so fast.’ Textbooks often draw a lot of demand, but Pitt library policy prohibits the purchase of them. The libraries keep a limited supply of textbooks on their shelves, largely thanks to professors who donate them, said Kepes.’ More classes are using books that are not strictly considered textbooks as class texts, said McLeod. She said that this practice increases the likelihood that the book will be found in the E-ZBorrow system, if not in Pitt’s own catalog. The library also buys books on the request of patrons, which helps meet the demand for more popular titles, said McLeod.’ ‘ Alternate sources of academic text offered by the Library System also take some textbook strain off of the new system. Colleen Eperesi, a graduate student in Pitt’s Department of Occupational Therapy, said many of her professors regularly use online documents through the Library’s e-Reserve system as the primary text for class. As McLeod has confidence in the E-ZBorrow system, Pitt librarians are optimistic about other changes in the Library System. Jeff Wisniewski, a Library System web services librarian, said that the new PITTCat Plus will provide easier, more user-friendly service to patrons. Kepes also cited high success rates in ‘Get It,’ which allows students to place orders online for library books to be set aside for pick-up.