Allegheny reps. seek stricter ban

By Molly Stieber

With the end of tobacco smoke in many Pennsylvania bars nearing, taverns and other public… With the end of tobacco smoke in many Pennsylvania bars nearing, taverns and other public facilities only days away, local representatives are looking to clear the air even further. ‘ U.S. Rep. Chelsa Wagner, D-Allegheny, and Rep. Dan Frankel, D-Allegheny, held a press conference on Monday in favor of amending the current policies of Pennsylvania’s Clean Indoor Air Act, strengthening the legislation and increasing its scope. The act, as it stands now, is set to go into effect Thursday, after it was signed by Gov. Ed Rendell in June. The act will ban smoking in most public buildings and workplaces throughout the state, excluding bars or taverns that makes fewer than 20 percent of their total sales from food. With the exception of Philadelphia, as the act stands now, no local governments may pass further legislation. Frankel and Wagner held yesterday’s press conference with hopes of making the ban stricter in Allegheny County. ‘Communities like Allegheny County, Scranton and other local governments deserve the freedom to enact ordinances that respond to the demands of the people and actually shield all workers from the dangers of secondhand smoke,’ said Frankel. In order to amend the Clean Indoor Air Act, Wagner’s legislation would allow Allegheny County a 90-day period to establish a stronger smoking ban. If the county is not satisfied with the amendments after 90 days, the original act will take effect. Wagner said she wishes to create a level playing field for all businesses with her legislation. Instead of penalizing some businesses for making more than 20 percent of sales in food, she said she believes that all workplaces should follow the same rules. Frankel’s legislation would give local governments the same power that Philadelphia was given in regard to the Clean Indoor Air Act. The city is exempt from the confinements of the Clean Indoor Air Act because Philadelphia had enacted smoke-free laws two years ago.