Middle Eastern food a Pitt oasis

By Katie Blemler

Ali Baba 404 South Craig St. (412) 682-2829 $$ ‘ ‘ ‘ Ali Baba’s is nuzzled along the… Ali Baba 404 South Craig St. (412) 682-2829 $$ ‘ ‘ ‘ Ali Baba’s is nuzzled along the trendy and culturally diverse section of South Craig Street, right around the corner from the Carnegie Museum. Guests can enjoy a variety of options fit for every sized appetite. Standard lunch and dinner courses are available, as well as individual items from an a la carte selection. The restaurant is authentically decorated to emulate those found in true Middle Eastern parts of the world. It is open every day except Saturday, but be careful not to arrive between 2:30 and 4:00 throughout the week, as they are closed between the lunch and dinner rushes. Baba D’s 3531 Forbes Ave. (412) 687-2515 Panther Funds?’ No $$ ‘ ‘ ‘ Baba D’s serves as a great setting for a date or for catching up with friends. It is conveniently located right along the main strip of Forbes, so it’s within a short walking distance whether you reside on or off campus. Baba D’s menu includes a mixture of both Arabic and American items. You’ll be sure to find a dish suited for every diner’s tastes, as the menu offers a melange of different meals. Although it is a bit pricier than the other Middle Eastern restaurants on campus, its convenience in location may be worth the few extra dollars. Khalil’s II 4757 Baum Blvd. (412) 683-4757 Panther Funds:’ Currently in the works of accepting them ‘ ‘ ‘ Although it’s a bit of a hike from campus, it’s worth the bus ride ‘mdash; or walk if you’re up for it. Khalil’s offers a covered outdoor seating section adorned with hanging lights and ornamental rugs. If the weather doesn’t permit an outside dining experience, there is also seating inside. Khalil’s has one of the fancier dining rooms among the variety of Middle Eastern restaurants. Aside from its tasty meals, Khalil’s offers belly dancing lessons every Tuesday and Wednesday and belly dancing performances every Friday evening. So if you’re looking for an authentic Middle Eastern cultural experience, head over to Khalil’s for a Friday night dinner and enjoy live belly dancing. Or, take advantage of the 20 percent student discount offered on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and perhaps sign up for a class yourself. Leena’s Food 121 Oakland Ave. (412) 682-1919 Panther Funds?’ No $ ‘ ‘ ‘ Nestled beside Oishii and across from Sushi Boat and Peter’s Pub, you’ll find Leena’s Food. A neon sign in the front window proclaiming ‘World’s Best Gyros’ greets guests as they enter the restaurant. Although being the best at anything is a tough claim to live up to, Pitt Law professor John Burkoff confirms the statement with evidence, ‘I’ve traveled all over the world, including the Middle East, and his falafels are as good as anyone’s anywhere.” ‘ ‘ ‘ Leena’s owner, Mohammed Issa, disclosed how he lives up to this assertion: The secret is in the sauce, which Issa makes fresh every day. The foods he serves are all from his mother’s homemade recipes. Unlike the other two Middle Eastern restaurants in the heart of Oakland, Leena’s is open all day Saturday as well as during the week, so it’s a great place to go for a weekend meal. And the prices are extremely reasonable, especially considering the quality ensured in each item. Nellie’s 3524 Fifth Ave. (412) 683-7144 Panther Funds?’ No $ Perfect for meeting up with a friend for lunch or an early dinner, Nellie’s is located on the corner of Meyran and Fifth avenues. While dining on a selection from the restaurant’s array of choices ‘mdash; including sandwiches, salads and combination or sampler platters ‘mdash; you can sit in front of large street-side windows and watch the bustling activity along Fifth Avenue. Nellie’s offers a variety of daily specials, so you can find something new on the menu with each visit. And the combo platters and specials are generously priced, all around $8.50, so you can be sure to enjoy eating out while staying on a college student budget, especially because students receive a 10 percent discount with their Pitt ID. Or, if you’d prefer to stay home while enjoying a freshly prepared meal, Nellie’s also offers free delivery. Salim’s Middle Eastern Food 4705 Centre Ave. (412) 621-8110 ‘ Panther Funds?’ No $ Salim’s stands out from the other local Middle Eastern restaurants because it not only offers freshly prepared Middle Eastern cuisine, but also is a market. It affords customers the option of purchasing the different meats and vegetables typically found in Middle Eastern dishes, which are not always available in standard grocery stores. The market section is fully stocked with a variety of traditional Indian and Middle Eastern cooking spices as well. The store seems as if it were transplanted straight from a city in the Middle East into North Oakland. Its seating area is the perfect place to escape to if you’re looking for a unique study location ‘mdash; you can enjoy a pastry from a broad selection of traditional Middle Eastern desserts while taking advantage of free Wi-Fi services.