Bill aims to save lives on campus

By Molly Stieber

‘ ‘ ‘ Newly passed legislation by the House of Representatives seeks to save lives on college… ‘ ‘ ‘ Newly passed legislation by the House of Representatives seeks to save lives on college campuses by overruling privacy policies that block communication between schools and parents regarding their students’ mental health. ‘ ‘ ‘ The legislation, written by Republican Congressman Tim Murphy of the 18th district of Pennsylvania, passed Aug. 1 as part of The College Opportunity and Affordability Act, H.R. 4137. ‘ ‘ ‘ The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act ensures the confidentiality of students’ grades and progress in school and defines what access parents have to those records. ‘ ‘ ‘ Unfortunately, because of some schools’ insecurity with the fine guidelines of FERPA, many fear contacting a student’s parents if he is in need of non-school-related help. ‘ ‘ ‘ Congressman Murphy’s language was drawn from his Mental Health Security for America’s Families in Education Act, H.R. 2220. ‘ ‘ ‘ This act requires that the Secretary of Education continue to provide guidance while communicating with the parents if a student poses harm to himself or others such as suicide, homicide or physical assault. ‘ ‘ ‘ Murphy’s purpose for this language is to avert the hundreds of preventable deaths on college campuses. ‘ ‘ ‘ The congressman could not be reached for comment but was quoted in a recent press release, saying, ‘Each day an average of three college students commit suicide.’ He is further quoted saying that this bill will save lives. ‘ ‘ ‘ According to Murphy, communication between the college and the student’s parents regarding mental health is essential. ‘ ‘ ‘ He said he believes that if a student poses a threat to himself or others, the school should be contacting his parents, not legal advisers. Additionally, schools acting in good faith are protected from liability. ‘ ‘ ‘ It is not clear what the exact conditions are under which the college will contact a student’s parents ‘mdash; be it concrete evidence of harm, or simply threats to commit harm to oneself or others.