Pitt volleying toward top of Big East

By Adam Littman

The Pitt volleyball team lost two key members who have contributed to the team’s success in… The Pitt volleyball team lost two key members who have contributed to the team’s success in recent years this season. The team is now without Chris Beerman, head coach for the past eight seasons, who resigned in May, as well as outside hitter Diana Andreyko, the school’s all-time leader in kills with 1,852, who graduated. But the team is nothing but optimistic heading into the new season. ‘Losing a player is always tough, especially when she’s been such an impact player for our program, but I think collectively we can overcome that and accomplish a lot this season,’ said junior Meagan Dooley about the departed Andreyko. ‘We have a really strong upper class. We have a high talent level on our team.’ Taking over the team that finished 15-16 last year while missing out on the Big East Tournament is Toby Rens. Rens comes from Long Island University, where he led the Blackbirds to four Northeast Conference titles and automatic NCAA tournament berths each of his four years as head coach. He was also the 2005 NEC Coach of the Year. ‘It’s been great so far, and I’ve been very happy with the decision I’ve made to come here,’ said Rens. Although extremely early, the players seem to be enjoying the Rens-era of Pitt volleyball. ‘He has an awesome energy about him,’ said senior Kelly Campbell. ‘He is extremely positive. He’s constantly pushing us every day to work harder, to be better and to do more, but it’s all in such a positive way that he’s making it fun, and we’re getting better.’ Dooley said she liked that Rens was focusing on improving the technical aspect of the team’s game’ and developing each player’s different skill set. ‘It makes it easier as a team when we all have our basic skills down,’ said Dooley. Rens first came to Pittsburgh about 13 years ago as an assistant coach with George Washington University and has been intrigued with the city ever since. ‘The city itself was a very easy sell when considering the job, as was the University,’ said Rens. ‘Pitt seems to have so much to offer, so many different majors. It’s going to open doors from a recruiting standpoint. The education we have to offer here, first and foremost, is great, and I think that’s going to continue to attract a high-level student-athlete.’ In addition to academics, another way to attract recruits is by winning. The Panthers haven’t made the NCAA tournament since 2004, losing to Ohio in the first round. That’s also the last year Pitt won the Big East Tournament, but it did make the Big East Tournament in 2006, losing to Marquette in the quarterfinals. Both are things the team hopes to change this year. Dooley, as well as Campbell, said the team’s goals for this season don’t include just making the Big East Tournament, but winning it. Dooley also said the team similarly doesn’t want to just make the NCAA tournament, they want to advance past the first round. ‘I think we’re definitely underrated in the Big East, and a team that people should look out for,’ said Dooley. ‘We’re going to surprise a lot of teams this year.’ Should the team meet its goals, Dooley and Campbell figure to play integral parts in the team’s success. Campbell finished last year second on the team in kills and kills per game, behind Andreyko. Dooley led the team in blocks. Also returning to the team are seniors Jessica Moses, Stephanie Ross, Nicole Taurence and Monica Macellari, as well as juniors Michelle Rossi and Melissa Stadelman and sophomore Amy Town. ‘Having such an experienced team helps across the board,’ said Dooley. ‘We have a lot of eyes watching out and making sure everyone is working towards what we want to accomplish.’ Filling out the roster are seven freshmen and sophomore Imani Harper, who is in her first year at Pitt after transferring from Temple University. ‘All the new players are doing a great job of what’s being asked of them and playing off the experience of the upperclassmen,’ said Rens. ‘The returning players are doing such a great job of setting a standard in the gym and making the new players feel welcome and part of the team.’ The season kicks off this weekend when the team travels to Kentucky to face Kentucky, Wisconsin and Western Carolina in the Kentucky Tournament. The following weekend the Panthers make their season debut at home when they host the Pitt Classic. The team will face Eastern Kentucky and Binghamton on Sept. 5 and Ohio University the next day. Pitt continues with out-of-conference games, including matches against Duquesne and Robert Morris, in the following weeks until Big East play starts Sept. 27 with a trip to Villanova and continues throughout the rest of the season. ‘I really think we have a lot of potential on this team and are going to do great things,’ said Dooley. ‘We’re Big East contenders.’