Pitt baseball team ends season in slump

By Adam Littman

It was the only fitting way for the Pitt baseball team to end its season: two games decided by… It was the only fitting way for the Pitt baseball team to end its season: two games decided by one and two runs, respectively, both resulting in losses.

The doubleheader sweep against Connecticut, combined with a defeat the day before to the Huskies, ended the Panthers’ season on a three-game losing streak.

Streakiness was not a friend to Pitt this past year.

On three different occasions, the Panthers lost three games in row.

Twice they had losing streaks of four games, and one stretch saw five consecutive losses.

Conversely, the Panthers’ longest winning streak this year was two games, which was accomplished on five separate occasions.

But it wasn’t just the losing streak to end the season that was a microcosm of the entire season.

The Panthers (19-34, 7-19 Big East) had 19 games decided by two runs or fewer. Pitt went 6-13 in those games, including six losses in 10 one-run games.

One major reason the Panthers were able to keep many games close was because of improved play as the game entered its later stages.

In the first six innings, opponents outscored Pitt, 272-261. But during innings 7-9, the Panthers held a 98-69 runs-scored advantage over opponents.

While close losses and almost-comebacks resulted in tough defeats this past year, the experience in those close contests could prove pivotal next season for the Panthers, who constantly fielded a young team this year.

One of the Panthers’ top offensive threats from a year ago, University of Kentucky-transfer Gary Bucuren, played in only two games this year.

In his first season at Pitt last year, Bucuren led the team with a .319 batting average and tied for second in home runs with five.

With his injury came an opening at third base, and in stepped Joe Leonard.

The freshman, much like Bucuren, finished the year with the team’s highest batting average (.335) and tied for second in home runs (7).

‘[He] had an exceptional year as a true freshman,’ said Jordano. ‘In my opinion he was flat-out the freshman of the year in the conference but also was one of the best players in the league.’

On the mound, the Panthers lost Ryan Dunford to injury.

Last season as a sophomore, Dunford pitched in 11 games, compiling an ERA of 1.91.

Before the year even started, the Panthers lost two of their top pitchers from last year, Paul Nardozzi and Kyle Landis, who were both selected in last year’s Major League Baseball draft.

Freshman relief pitcher David Kaye and starter Corey Baker appeared in a combined 39 games.

Kaye’s ERA of 2.52 and Baker’s of 5.15 were the two best on the team of any pitcher who pitched more than 33 innings.

Sophomore Nate Reed led the team with five wins, three complete games and 70 strikeouts.

Also seeing time on the mound this year for Pitt were freshmen Cole Taylor, Kevin Dooley and Hugh Henry.

‘All of those guys should be prepared for even better numbers next season because of the experience they received this year,’ said Jordano.

While Pitt loses seniors Sean Conley, Nick Mullins and Dan Williams, it should return Danny Lopez, who finished second on the team in average (.319) and home runs (7) and first on the team in steals (21).

Starters Jordan Herr and Morgan Kielty should also be back next year, as well as John Schultz, Chris Tonte and Zach Duggan.