The banjo finds its roots in “Africa”

By Kelsey Shea

‘ ‘ ‘ In Jayme Stone and Mansa Sissoko’s new album From Africa to Appalachia, the duo’ find… ‘ ‘ ‘ In Jayme Stone and Mansa Sissoko’s new album From Africa to Appalachia, the duo’ find the origin of American music by tracing it back to its African roots. ‘ ‘ ‘ The collaborative album employs both American instruments like the banjo and African Instruments like the kora, a 21-stringed African harp, to back up Sissoko’s Malian Griot singing and create a unique but enthralling blend of American folk music and traditional African music. ‘ ‘ ‘ Much of the album is simple and graceful instrumentals with guitar and banjo parts interweaving with traditional African instruments. ‘ ‘ ‘ The combination of multiple-string instruments creates an intricate, beautiful sound that oftentimes seems to conform to neither of the two genres. ‘ ‘ ‘ Though multiple instruments are almost always playing, the overall result is surprisingly simple, clear and relaxed. ‘ ‘ ‘ Though the album features both genres of music, not every song is a hybrid of African and Appalachian music. Many songs, like ‘June Apple,’ have a much more clearly defined American bluegrass sound to them and rely heavily on the banjo, guitar and fiddle, making them sound far more like Stone’s first solo album, The Utmost. ‘ ‘ ‘ Other songs on the album, like ‘Tunya,’ ‘Sila’ and ‘Dakar,’ sound much more like African music. The kora is easily distinguished on these songs and with Sissoko singing in his native language, the music sounds like modernized and Americanized traditional Mali songs. ‘ ‘ ‘ Though there are lyrics on the album, none of them are in English. Sissoko sings in his native language. Though it’s likely not understandable, the language itself is so different from what listeners are used to hearing that it makes the vocals unique. ‘ ‘ ‘ They’re able to be enjoyed without the burden of comprehension of deeper meanings, which allows listeners to really appreciate the sheer auditory experience. Sissoko’s voice is strong and clear, and his diction brings yet more rhythm to the music without taking away from it’s simplicity. ‘ ‘ ‘ The collaboration between Stone and Sissoko began after Stone made a trip to Mali last year. ‘ ‘ ‘ The Canadian award-winning composer and banjoist had released his first solo album in 2007 after previously playing with the jazz and roots group Tricycle. ‘ ‘ ‘ While in Mali, Stone became interested in the roots of American music and wanted to further explore African rhythm and instruments, as well as the origin of the five-stringed banjo. ‘ ‘ ‘ From Africa to Appalachia manages to integrate the two instruments, as well as combine Malian music with the jazz, folk and roots music he knew.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Overall, From Africa to Appalachia is a rich and interesting album that uses world music that wouldn’t have drawn in many American listeners and makes it more accessible by adding in modern American influences.