EDITORIAL – Obama best choice for Democratic primary

By Pitt News Staff

With the primary elections drawing near, we Pennsylvanians have been presented with a unique… With the primary elections drawing near, we Pennsylvanians have been presented with a unique privilege. We, unlike voters in Pennsylvania primaries past, could be choosing the Democratic presidential candidate in an election cycle that has, to this point, been unlike any other we’ve seen in American history.

Nearly every aspect of the current presidential campaign is groundbreaking: We will be choosing, for the first time in American history, either a woman or a black man as the Democratic presidential candidate. For the first time in decades, we will be choosing from presidential candidates who don’t include either a vice president or incumbent. We have also experienced what is likely to be the longest primary election cycle in American history, beginning last winter with announcements from Republican and Democratic candidates and likely not ending until the Democratic National Convention this August.

This election has been, in part, precipitated by a unique American political climate. Americans have become increasingly disillusioned with the Bush administration – a government that has been flooded with corruption, scandal and economic disrepair. Americans from the left, right and center have been pleading for a change in Washington. And we believe Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., is the best Democratic candidate to answer our calls for change.

During the past few months of the Democratic presidential primary campaigns, candidates Obama and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., have highlighted one fundamental difference as their respective strengths: time in Washington. Clinton has stated, time and time again, that she will be ready on day one, citing her close involvement in her husband’s presidency and extensive knowledge of domestic and foreign policy as political strengths. But along with this involvement comes ties to corporate interest and corrupt political leaders. Clinton might have the experience to lead on day one, but these deep-rooted ties could prevent her from reshaping the political landscape of Washington.

Obama, unlike Clinton, presents a departure from the Washington political climate. Obama does not have the national political experience that Clinton has, no argument about it. But with this inexperience also comes a critical outside perspective, an answer to the clamoring calls for a change from the same-old Washington politics with which Americans have become disgruntled.

Although he is new to Washington, Obama has worked nearly his entire career in the public service sector, spending his first few years out of law school working as a community organizer in the South Side of Chicago, and later representing those constituents as a representative in the Illinois state legislature. Obama’s experiences in local politics have instilled in him a critical understanding of the American urban experience, a value we believe Clinton lacks.

Even after entering into the Illinois state legislature, Obama has remained untied to corporate interest and, during his campaign, has surrounded himself with a group of advisers who present as fresh of a perspective as Obama himself.

In terms of policy, Clinton’s and Obama’s platforms are not far apart. Both promise to restore our country’s position in the world and develop diplomatic relations with countries that Bush’s black and white, ultimatum-filled foreign policy has ignored. Yet, though Clinton has promised a new era in foreign policy, we see a shade of frightening familiarity in her promises to support the governments of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and the UAE if Iran was to acquire nuclear weapons.

At this critical moment in history, it is time to turn inward, not further conflicts abroad. We need a leader who is forceful enough to present stern warnings to countries that present threats to the United States or our allies, yet willing and able to use diplomacy when at all possible.

Our endorsement of Barack Obama, though, is not about Clinton’s weaknesses, but instead, Obama’s unique strengths. Obama is an exceptionally gifted politician and leader, one whose outside perspective, extensive knowledge of domestic and foreign policy and willingness to make a break from the same-old Washington politics will help to propel our country forward into a new political era. One who can unite our country – from first-time voters to lifetime Republicans to those who, before this election, thought they couldn’t have a say in public policy.