Panel talks international employment

By Simone Cheatham

As seen in last fall’s mayoral race, the retention of college graduates is a major issue… As seen in last fall’s mayoral race, the retention of college graduates is a major issue facing Pittsburgh. So, in the meantime, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that some students hope to move as far away as possible upon graduation.

For those students to whom international employment is appealing, the Study Abroad Office hosted its first International Careers Panel Discussion yesterday.

About 30 students listened as five panelists with a wide array of global experiences described their personal careers and the ups and downs that come with working in internationally based fields.

Angela Garcia, the deputy director of Global Links, a Pittsburgh-based humanitarian organization, said students should get as many jobs as possible, either paid or volunteer.

“It’s pretty cliche, but you need to just get out there and do it. Take the opportunity while you have it,” she said.

Aruna Raman, an experienced Indian journalist who currently works with the Worlds Affairs Council of Pittsburgh, agreed but said that students shouldn’t limit themselves to a specific field.

“Find a common thread,” she said. “Whether it’s writing or analysis or whatever, make sure you find a common thread in your work that works for you.”

All of the panelists agreed that gaining some type of experience abroad, making connections with people and creating networks around the world are beneficial in starting a career.

Melissa Reed, an educator and administrator at the Pennsylvania Governor’s School for International Studies along with Garcia, encouraged students to hone their writing skills and to make sure that their resumes and cover letters are in good shape.

“It’s really all about who you know, as much as I hate to say that,” she said. “And make sure you read the newspaper everyday,” she said, noting that knowledge of current affairs is essential to working abroad.

When the floor was opened to student questions, some asked the panelists about everything from the Peace Corps, to jobs within the U.S. government, to the funding and the transitions involved in living abroad.

D. Wes Rist, assistant director of the Center for International Legal Education at Pitt’s School of Law, said that students who aspire to hold a position within a U.S. government program should be completely devoted to the idea before even applying.

Mike Staresinic, the president of Breakthrough Leadership, an organization that helps to create leadership in developing countries, agreed.

“You have to be fully committed to a project like that,” he said. “If you can stand the bureaucracy involved, you could definitely become part of some historical, amazing stuff.”

Lily Carr, a former intern at the Study Abroad Office who currently plans on attending graduate school, said the discussion was worth her time, calling the event “a really great idea.”

And that’s the type of feedback Lindsey Anderson was hoping to hear.

A graduate student earning her Masters in Public and International Affairs, Anderson said the discussion was part of the office’s attempt to develop more “re-entry” services geared toward returning study abroad students.