Wrestling notches victories

By ADAM LITTMAN

Keith Gavin and Matt Kocher, ranked No. 1 and No. 6 in their respective weight classes, each… Keith Gavin and Matt Kocher, ranked No. 1 and No. 6 in their respective weight classes, each highlighted the Pitt wrestling team’s action over winter break by recording personal milestones.

In the Midland Championships, taking place at Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill., Gavin recorded his 100th career victory.

Kocher, the only other current Panther with 100 career wins, became the first wrestler in the history of the University to earn 100 career tournament victories.

“They’re just always looking to get better,” Pitt coach Rande Stottlemyer said. “They’re great competitors.”

They led the No. 20 Panthers (7-1, 1-0 EWL) as they won five out of six matches and placed 6th in the Midland Championships, which is the school’s best finish in the history of the tournament.

Next, Pitt travels to Oklahoma to face off against the No. 19 Sooners and Michigan State.

Ohio Duals

The Panthers started off their break with a strong showing, defeating Findlay, UNC Greensboro and Ohio on Dec. 16 at Ohio University.

Pitt dominated, only dropping three total matches on the day.

First up, the Panthers shut out Findlay by score of 42-0.

Junior Brad Gentzle, senior Drew Headlee and Gavin recorded falls in their respective matches.

Also highlighting the win were victories from Kocher and No. 15 heavyweight Zach Sheaffer.

The Panthers then beat UNC Greensboro, 35-4.

Gentzle, Headlee, Gavin, Kocher and Sheaffer all won their second match of the day against the Spartans.

In the 165-pound match, junior Sean Richmond recorded his first win of the season.

Sophomores Jimmy Conroy and David Sullivan both won for the second time that day in their respective matches.

Ohio fared better than Pitt’s first two opponents and still lost, 36-6.

Winning for the third time that day, Gavin recorded a fall in just 50 seconds. Also winning their third matches were Headlee and junior Joey Ecklof.

Missouri 23, Pitt 17

No. 7 Missouri spoiled Pitt’s first home match of the season by handing the Panthers their first loss of the season as well.

Although it lost, Pitt had five wrestlers win their matches, equaling five wins for the Tigers.

Conroy was the first Panther to win, scoring a major decision at 10-0 over John Olanowski in the 133-pound match.

Headlee then took the 141-pound match with a major decision over Willie Saxton at 12-4.

Gavin and Kocher both won via decisions over their opponents, and Sheaffer defeated No. 12 Mark Ellis with an 8-2 decision.

Midland Championships

Gavin continued his stellar season by capturing the 174-pound title, while Kocher made it to his final but was defeated by No. 1 Mike Poeta of Illinois.

Also placing for the Panthers were Sheaffer, finishing sixth, and sophomore Ryan Bosso, who placed seventh in the 125-pound weight class despite coming into the tournament unranked.

“He really found himself,” Stottlemyer said of Bosso. “He did a great job.”

No. 1 Iowa finished atop the rankings at the Midland Championships, while Pitt finished sixth out 52 teams competing.

“That’s a heck of an accomplishment,” Stottlemyer said.

Pitt 45, Duquesne 0

The Panthers used some of their younger wrestlers when facing the Duquesne Dukes and the Franklin and Marshall Diplomats at the Fitzgerald Field House on Saturday.

Bosso started Pitt with a win against Jon Bittinger, which was followed by a Conroy pin and a technical fall by Joe Ciampoli, wrestling in his first duel meet of the season. He was filling in for Ecklof, who dislocated his shoulder in the Midland Championships.

Freshmen Ethan Headlee and David Crowell both recorded technical falls in their matches, and Sheaffer pinned his opponent to seal another shutout for Pitt.

Pitt 38, Franklin and Marshall 12

Headlee, Conroy, Crowell, Sheaffer and freshman Eric Rosencranz all came back to face Pitt’s second opponent of the day, and all won their respective matches.

Drew Headlee and Gavin were both out with illnesses for the Duquesne and Franklin and Marshall matches, but Stottlemyer said he expects everybody back for this weekend’s trip to Oklahoma.

“It’ll be a real challenge for us,” Stottlemyer said, “but hopefully we can rise to the challenge and take one out of Oklahoma’s backyard and beat Michigan State as well.”