Dylan’s there in varied artist interpretations

By KELSEY SHEA

No one can top Bob Dylan, but damn if the artists on “I’m Not There” don’t come close…. No one can top Bob Dylan, but damn if the artists on “I’m Not There” don’t come close. Musical artists of all different ages and genres cover songs by the famous American folk legend on the original soundtrack to Todd Haynes’ new movie “I’m Not There.”

The movie, scheduled for release on Nov. 21, is a biography that focuses on the life and music of Bob Dylan. The film has attracted attention for the non-traditional technique used to tell the story of the iconic songwriter’s life.

The unique interpretation of Bob Dylan employs six very different actors and actresses to play Bob Dylan in “I’m Not There,” each portraying different stages of the songwriter’s life. The soundtrack to the movie, which was released Oct. 30, is an impressive collection of covers from various artists who have done a beautiful job of recreating Dylan’s famous songs.

The movie’s 34-track soundtrack features 29 different singers, including well-known artists like Jack Johnson, Sonic Youth and Willie Nelson. The album also features indie artists like Iron and Wine, Yo La Tengo, Cat Power, Sufjan Stevens and Stephen Malkmus.

The soundtrack to “I’m Not There” seems to lack any weaknesses. Dylan’s lyrics are obviously genius and the featured bands and singers were expertly chosen to ensure that they could live up to the high standards set 40 years ago by Dylan’s originals. More recent groundbreaking artists such as indie rock pioneer Stephen Malkmus of Pavement were recruited to bring their own talents to Dylan’s songs.

In addition to bands and solo artists, Columbia Records brought together a super group featuring Lee Ranaldo and Steve Shelley from Sonic Youth, Nels Cline from Wilco, TV guitarist Tom Verlaine and Dylan’s own bandmates Tony Garnier, Snokey Hormel and John Medeski. The talented Million Dollar Bashers provide singers, Malkmus, Karen O and Eddie Vedder with lively and exciting backup music on five of the album’s tracks.

The artists all bring something of their own to the Dylan songs by mixing their own styles in with his. All of the featured artists do an impressive job of covering the songs, though they imitate Dylan’s original recordings in varying degrees.

Many of the artists, like Cat Power and The Hold Steady, try to recreate the raspy, raw and honest vocal style that has become synonymous with Bob Dylan. In Karen O’s cover of “Highway 61 Revisited” the music is slightly modernized, but for the most part stays very similar to Dylan’s original cover. Her voice is clearer and livelier but a very distinct echo of Dylan’s perfectly imperfect vocal style can still be heard in her forced and impassioned style of singing.

Other artists on the album take more liberties with the classic songs by adding elements that better suit their styles, tastes and abilities. Jack Johnson integrates his own sound with Dylan’s in his cover of “Mamma You’ve Been On My Mind.” He sings Dylan’s lyrics in his clear and mellow voice backed by gentle acoustic guitars that create his usual relaxed and simplified musical style.

Though the entire album is great, some particular highlights are Cat Power’s cover of “Stuck Inside Of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again” and Mason Jennings’ cover of “The Times They Are A-Changin’,” both of which reproduce Dylan’s songs with impeccable style and skill. Richie Havens’ cover of “Tombstone Blues” is another standout track.

Overall, the album is an excellent collection of Dylan covers that will only increase the high anticipation of the movie release of “I’m Not There.”