Men’s and women’s XC finish 11th at Big Easts

By ADAM LITTMAN

The football team wasn’t the only Pitt team to compete in Louisville Saturday, as the men’s… The football team wasn’t the only Pitt team to compete in Louisville Saturday, as the men’s and women’s cross country team took part in the Big East Championships.

Both team’s finished 11th in their respective competitions, with 14 teams competing on the men’s side and 16 on the women’s.

Continuing with a recurring theme all season, freshmen had strong showings for both teams. Josh Christopher finished with the best time of any Pitt male in the race, with a time of 25:23.40, which put him in 54th place overall.

For Christopher, it was the fifth time in five races this year that he has finished with the best time for the men’s team. It was the first time a freshman finished with the best time on the men’s side for the Panthers in the Big East Championship since 2003, when Eric Fleming did so.

Two seniors topped the women’s side of the race for the Panthers.

Amy Ruffalo finished with the fastest time for all female Pitt racers for the third time this year. She finished the race 41st overall with a time of 21:52.20.

Behind her was Alexandra Briggs, who crossed the finish line with a time of 22:13.40, placing her 51st overall.

Louisville finished first in the team competition for the men’s side, and West Virginia finished atop the women’s standings. It was both team’s first ever first-place finish in the Big East Championships.

The men’s and women’s teams will next compete in the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional meet Sat. Nov. 11, in Bethlehem, Pa. Last year, the men finished sixth and the women finished 17th in the meet.

Senior Curtis Larimer finished second for the men at the Big Easts with a time of 25:34.95, which placed him 57th overall.

Two more freshmen rounded out the Panthers’ top-four times. Teddy Miller finished 71st overall with his time of 26:18.60, and Sam Weiser crossed the finish line at 26:23.00, placing him 75th overall.

Also competing for the men were three sophomores. Eric Burnett finished fifth for the Panthers, and 78th overall with his time of 26:27.50. Kyle Kaminski finished the race with a time of 26:32.30, placing him 81st out of all racers. Lane King wasn’t far behind, finishing in 82nd place with his time of 26:35.15.

Two freshmen followed the seniors for the women. Ana Yoney finished 61st with a time of 23:30.25, and June Farley finished 83rd at 23:32.80.

Three juniors rounded out the Panthers’ seven competing runners. Monica Bhattacharjee finished fifth for Pitt, and 85th overall crossing the finish line with a time of 23:36.30. Nicole Bielick finished 93rd out of all runners with her time of 24:23.65, and Melissa Vignetti finished right behind her in 94th at 24:29.75.