What not to wear when you’re going on the job

By NICHOLE LEIGH HUFF

The camera pans to 18 profoundly beautiful adults: busty women with broad shoulders in bold… The camera pans to 18 profoundly beautiful adults: busty women with broad shoulders in bold colors and groomed men with waxed eyebrows in tailored Armani. Donald Trump’s silhouette appears and “The Apprentice” asks, “What if you could have it all?”

What student soaking up reality TV’s business world wouldn’t covet “The Apprentice” lifestyle? Television suggests that lucrative employment is just around the bend for the hip and cunning, and that savvy college students can use their impeccable fashion sense to boost their careers and their pocketbooks.

But winning a dream job has a lot more to do with your actions than your fashion, said Carrie Timlin, a career consultant at Pitt’s Career Services.

“The objective,” Timlin said, “is to get the interviewer to pay attention to what you’re saying, not what you’re wearing.”

Like most aspects of life depicted in showbiz, employment candidates seen on television are sexier and more dramatic than is appropriate in the real business world. In terms of style, Timlin explains, “The optimal word is conservative. Appearance should be toned down so employers pay more attention to you than your clothes.”

Sneakers, jeans, T-shirts and hats are forbidden in the business sphere. Khakis, boots, sandals and polos are too casual for job hunting. Finding and keeping employment is not a business casual exercise.

“Men should wear a dark colored suit, black or blue, a subdued tie and shirt,” said Timlin. “Wear dress slacks and clean dress shoes. Wear dress socks. I know some guys throw on white socks and go, but dress socks are a must.”

While the executive ponytail may have worked in the early ’90s, Timlin said, “hair should be above the shoulders, short, clean and subdued.”

The conservative clothing theme applies to women as well as men. The tight sweaters, fitted skirts and heeled pumps sported on “The Apprentice,” and the flirty dresses worn by Carrie and her friends on “Sex and the City” are not models for business attire.

“We recommend women wear a black or blue suit,” Timlin said. “Pants suits and below-the-knee skirts with a suit jacket and a conservative blouse are acceptable. You should be wearing pantyhose in both cases.”

“Keep the heels sensible, plain black or blue,” Timlin said, adding, “With the perfume, use a minimal amount or none. The same goes for cologne.”

Do not go to an interview or job fair blinging.

“Men can wear a wristwatch and maybe a wedding band. Women are limited to one ring for each hand and one piercing in each ear. All facial piercings should be removed,” Timlin said.

Students should stay away from nonverbal signals given by tight clothes, bad hygiene, low blouses, uncoordinated outfits and tall heels, Timlin said.

“Keep it to one-colored pieces you know won’t go out of style.”

Career Services experts cite some sources that students can look to for professional examples. Anchors on news programs, for example, usually meet the dress code. Although the anchors on “Good Morning America” are a little close to business casual, Timlin said that many companies have adopted a business casual dress code in recent years.

“High-end suits or sweaters may be something to aspire to, but for interviews and job fairs,” she said, “dress business.”

Career Services’ website, www.careers.pitt.edu, contains information about business attire, job fairs and interview tips, in online and printable format. Career consultants are available during walk-in hours and by appointment to advise students on everything from business fashion to career options.

Career Services is located on the second floor of the William Pitt Union, and will host fall job fairs on Oct. 3 and 4.