Sid captains talented Pens into 2007

By NICK LAMANTIA

Penguins’ fans remember Sidney Crosby’s first playoff series like it happened last week. … Penguins’ fans remember Sidney Crosby’s first playoff series like it happened last week.

The team tied the series against Ottawa with a 4-3 Game 2 victory, but the experienced Senators prevailed, winning three straight games to advance. Ottawa eventually made it to the Stanley Cup.

That was April. This is September, and training camp has crept up on us.

We will take a look to see who Pittsburgh potentially has at each position to start the season next month.

Center

Sidney Crosby – There isn’t much to say about the 20-year-old reigning NHL MVP. As the team’s newly appointed captain, he will only improve upon his 120-point season.

Evgeni Malkin – The Calder Memorial Trophy winner as rookie of the year has bulked up since coming over from Russia (180 pounds to 195), and hopefully with this size he brings some of the fire and grit that he was known for in Russia.

Jordan Staal – Fresh off an unexpected rookie season, look for this soon-to-be 19-year-old to switch full time to the left-wing position. His size is almost unmatched and he should score at least 35 goals this year.

Erik Christensen – While Christensen’s finesse game doesn’t suit the typical, third-line grinding style, he does fill a need for a shootout specialist. He’ll be in the lineup come opening night. Don’t be surprised if he ends up as a winger later in the season.

Max Talbot – Everybody in Pittsburgh loves this small center. He sticks his nose in whenever the opportunity arises. He is the ideal penalty killer and has even dropped the gloves a few times. He has earned his roster spot with his in-your-face style of play and should chip in a few goals.

Right Wing

Petr Sykora – After averaging over 20 goals per season since 1998, Sykora fills a need as a top-notch scoring winger. Ray Shero not only brought him in for this reason, but also because Sykora has performed well in playoff situations. He is a solid veteran who can only help this team.

Jonathan Filewich – He has scored at every level of play. He looks to win a spot on the top two lines, and at 6-foot-2, 208 pounds, he isn’t afraid to get in the corners to take a hit. If he does get cut in camp, he will be one of the first call-ups.

Colby Armstrong – He showed he can score when placed on Crosby’s line two years ago, but when placed there last season he faltered. He did find his niche on the bottom two lines and as a solid penalty killer later in the season, and that is where he’ll start this season.

Mark Recchi – The “Wrecking Ball” started his career with the ‘Guins and now is finishing it out with hopes of another cup. He should be good for 20 goals next season on either the second or third line.

Georges Laraque – When acquired last season, Laraque was supposed to keep the Penguins’ stars safe. Well, that didn’t happen, and the former Edmonton Oiler and Phoenix Coyote could very well be out of the Steel City by the end of camp.

Left Wing

Gary Roberts – At first, Roberts wasn’t sure if he should accept a trade to Pittsburgh, but now he staying for another season. He should continue to produce at a decent clip and his leadership skills are invaluable.

Ryan Malone – While Malone has never really reached his career potential, he’ll always have his size, but he needs to learn how to utilize it more. He’ll see a majority of his playing time on the bottom two lines and on the penalty kill.

Jarkko Ruutu – He led the team in penalty minutes last season, and that number should still be high next season. He is a solid role player for the team, but look for him and Laraque, if he makes the team, to battle for time.

Defense

Sergei Gonchar – He is a great team leader as well as a solid offensive defenseman. He finished in the top five in defensemen scoring last season and look for his numbers to increase as the young guns have another year under their belts.

Ryan Whitney – He finished in the top five in defensemen scoring as well and, like Gonchar, his numbers should only go up.

Mark Eaton – As a good third or fourth defenseman on a solid team, Eaton needs to fill the role of No. 2 on this team. He blocks shots well, but he should not be a top-end defenseman. Unfortunately for Pens fans, he is.

Darryl Sydor – After coming to the team from Dallas, Sydor brings a solid two-way game to the team.

Kris Letang – In his seven-game cameo last season Letang scored two goals, but he needed to work on his defensive game. They sent him down to juniors, and since his season finished, Shero has all but guaranteed him a roster spot.

Brooks Orpik – Since he injured Erik Cole of Carolina, Orpik hasn’t been the same defenseman. He doesn’t play as physical as before, and that’s the game that the team needs him to play.

Rob Scuderi – He won’t play much as he is the team’s seventh defenseman.

Goaltenders

Marc-Andre Fleury – He finally lived up to his first overall draft status by posting 40 victories last season, but Fleury will need to control his rebounds better to lower his goals-against average and save percentage.

Dany Sabourin – To correct a previous wrong by putting him on waivers, Shero brought back last season’s training camp MVP to be Fleury’s backup.