Stage a getaway from the sun and soak up the theater

By NICHOLE LEIGH HUFF

From profile to politics, comedy to Camelot, stable to satire, the Pittsburgh 2007 summer… From profile to politics, comedy to Camelot, stable to satire, the Pittsburgh 2007 summer season presents theater-goers with a tantalizing array of the humorous, the epic and the furry.

Throughout July and August, The Pittsburgh Irish and Classical Theater, The Quantum Theater, and Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera, offer the best of modern satire, innovative venue and musical theater.

The intimate Henry Heymann Theater, located within the Stephen Foster Memorial building next to the Cathedral of Learning, hosts PICT’s production of “The Lieutenant of Inishmore,” a comically bloody contemporary satire, through Aug. 4. The company presents the tongue-in-cheek critique of wedlock, “Private Lives,” in the same theater beginning Aug. 16.

Dark halls and plush seats are not theater’s exclusive domain this season. The Quantum Theater brings the audience into the rural mystique of Hartwood Acres outside Pittsburgh from Aug. 2 to 26, for the production of “Le Grand Meaulines,” a groundbreaking twist on the classic tale of mysterious romance and blossoming adulthood.

In keeping with Pittsburgh’s annual musical tradition, the summer months come along singingly with Pittsburgh CLO’s season-long tribute to the music legend Patsy Cline in “Always