Asano a “Grand” talent

By JUSTIN JACOBS

Most people can recognize a southern accent. Or a British accent. Or even a Pittsburgh… Most people can recognize a southern accent. Or a British accent. Or even a Pittsburgh accent.

But how about an accent that fuses Japanese and Australian? Believe it or not, one heck of an accent is not the only amazing thing about ballet dancer Wakako Asano.

A member of the famous Sydney Dance Company, Asano can be seen – not heard, though – whirling around the stage of Pittsburgh’s Byham Theater as her troupe performs the modern dance piece “GRAND” on March 24.

Born in Tokyo, Asano began dancing at age 6. But unlike most child performers, her first performance wasn’t just for her parents in the living room. Instead, Asano took the stage in front of more than 400 people. Talk about a big introduction.

“I wasn’t nervous,” Asano said during a recent telephone interview. “When you’re little, not too much makes you nervous. I had to wear this shocking pink tutu with ribbons and makeup. I didn’t like that, though. That’s all I remember.”

Asano eventually moved with her family to Melbourne and continued her study of classical ballet at The Australian Ballet School, but not before being named the third best ballet dancer in Japan in 1986. Not only was Asano an extraordinarily driven teen, but also she grew up in the best circumstances for a competitive dancer.

“I never felt any pressure from my parents. I didn’t know until I started dancing, but my mother had done ballet when she was younger, so she understood how I felt. She wasn’t a stage mama, but she quietly supported me,” Asano said. “And my father, well, my father didn’t mind anything I wanted to do.”

Almost immediately after graduating, Asano was scooped up by the Sydney Dance Company, the premier contemporary dance company in Australia, and has been swooping across the stage for that group for the past 17 years. Though Asano has stayed with the Sydney Dance Company for basically her entire career, she has never gotten tired of working for the group – be it the people, the performances or the group dynamics. And it’s not because of the nice weather in Sydney.

“When I see other companies, the dances are quite similar and the dancers are about the same size. In our company, everyone is really different. The value of individuality is very high, and we all contribute to the dances intellectually,” she said.

One key figure in Asano’s career with the Sydney Dance Company has been Graeme Murphy, one of the main choreographers for the group. Asano, speaking of him with great respect, credited his penchant for very individual dances, as well as his allowance of the dancer’s input in the performances.

But being part of a group is only a small aspect of Asano’s love of dance – mainly, she loves her ability to find herself in movement. Asano, who also has doubled as a choreographer, believes that creating a dance is, in some ways, more spiritual than actually performing.

“I think you can put your ideas or spirit or soul in a step by choreographing,” she said. “If you’re given a step, the idea comes from someone else.”

Still, she said, there is nothing like letting go and dancing onstage.

“When I’m dancing, I can’t pretend to be better than I am or anything. You show what you are onstage. I become totally me in a way, and it’s just a world full of myself,” Asano said.

So what does “GRAND,” the piece the Sydney Dance Company will perform at the Byham Theater, present?

Choreographed by Graeme Murphy, “GRAND” beautifully pairs the movement of dance to the delicate and versatile music of the piano (hence the piece’s name). The costumes are simple black-and-white outfits to match the austere coloring of the piano.

Like her love of dance, Asano called the piece very pure, beautiful and memorable.

In Pittsburgh for one night only, The Sydney Dance Company’s performance of “GRAND” should be one not to miss. Plus, if you happen to catch Wakako Asano after the show, you’ll never hear an accent as unique.