Students get their game on at CSSD LAN party

By CARA STEINER

Women looking for a Valentine might have thought to look at the LAN Gaming Party. At 7 p.m…. Women looking for a Valentine might have thought to look at the LAN Gaming Party. At 7 p.m. Monday night, the line outside of the William Pitt Union Assembly Room was full of college men ready to get their game on.

Many people came for all sorts of different reasons and prizes, which included free T-shirts, free refreshments and a chance to win a Nintendo Wii, the grand raffle prize.

However, one freshman admitted he was there simply for the love of gaming.

“I’m here because I am a gigantic nerd,” Andrew Hicks said with a smirk.

Pittnet kicked off its annual Love Your Computer Week, a week full of informational sessions and fun activities, by throwing the LAN Gaming Party. Students signed up to be contestants in hourly tournaments of Dawn of War, Unreal and Warcraft III; the winner of each received an EB Games gift card.

Large screens were placed around the room and on stage, so it was easy to see the action as it unfolded. For those not on the computers, there was a little island of chairs in the center for waiting and watching.

People gathered around Guitar Hero and Dance Dance Revolution and interacted with the games even if it was not their turn. Several viewers could not contain their excitement and decided to play air guitar.

Love is on the mind this week, but one particular object seemed to be particularly alluring.

“The highlight will definitely be the raffle for the Way,” Ohmer said.