Zellous, Pitt cruise to road win

By NICK LAMANTIA

The Pitt women’s basketball team took advantage of missed shots and turnovers at Providence… The Pitt women’s basketball team took advantage of missed shots and turnovers at Providence Saturday to edge the Friars, 84-40, in a Big East matchup.

Led by sophomore Shavonte Zellous’ 29 points and Xenia Stewart’s and Marcedes Walker’s 15 points each, the Panthers (17-5, 5-4 Big East) played their way to their fifth win in their past 10 games after starting the season 12-0.

Four of Pitt’s five starters scored early as the Panthers built a 9-3 lead just two-and-a-half minutes into the first half. That lead would increase to 17 points before the first-half buzzer would sound as the Panthers took a 36-19 lead into halftime. Sylvie Tafen, who finished with two points and five rebounds, was the only starter to not chip in immediately.

The Panthers out-rebounded the Friars, 19-8, in the first half while they shot 56 percent from the field including Zellous doing most of the scoring with 15 first-half points.

“My shots were falling today and my game felt pretty automatic,” Zellous told www.pittsburghpanthers.com. “At the half, Coach told us not to let up. They beat Louisville and are capable of a big comeback, so we really focused on keeping our intensity.”

Shauna Snyder, who finished the half with eight points, led Providence (12-10, 2-7) in the early minutes.

After halftime, Pitt broke the game wide open, starting with an 8-0 run with points from Walker, Zellous, Stewart and Jania Sims. That run pushed the Panther lead to 25 points – a lead that would only increase to 28, 41 and then finally 44 points.

The 44-point margin of victory for the Panthers is their largest of the season, besting the season’s previous record margin, 25 points in a win over the South Florida Bulls.

With the win, the Panthers pushed their road record to 8-4.

“This was a big road win for us,” head coach Agnus Berenato told www.pittsburghpanthers.com. “We were a little concerned with keeping our intensity and having an emotional letdown coming off the Notre Dame win on Wednesday night.”

The Panthers dominated the Friars in the paint as they finished with 41 rebounds compared to Providence’s 21. Stewart led the Panthers with eight rebounds and Zellous hauled in six.

The Friars were led in rebounding by freshman forward Emily Cournoyer, who picked up six.

“We were really rebounding well and playing good defense,” Berenato said. “We were able to get in their passing lanes and press – press a lot.”

Blocking those passing lanes, according to Berenato, really forced the Friars into making bad decisions. Pitt was able to make Providence turn the ball over 22 times compared to the Panthers’ 10 giveaways.

Walker set the defensive tone for the Panthers with three steals and one blocked shot. Providence was led by Aga Lorenc’s four blocked shots.

“We played with great intensity,” Berenato said. “We played great defense, and that leads us to create offense. We played great offense.”

Also, the Panthers dominated the shooting game, shooting a season-high 55.9 percent from the field, converting 33 of 59 shots.

The Friars shot 37.8 percent, going 17 for 45.

The Panthers, who substituted often, played well with different lineups. Tafen and Danielle Taylor worked to create offense as well as providing solid defense in the paint.

“Sylvie and Danielle really worked well,” Berenato said. “They were able to use creativity when they were in there.”

Berenato also pointed out the play of guards Sims and Karlyle Lim as key to the victory.

“They were able to work as a team, run the court well and control the ball,” Berenato said of the two.

Although the Panthers have won only one game against a ranked opponent (Marquette on Jan. 9), Berenato remains optimistic.

“We had two huge wins on the week and are 17-5, so hopefully we can get back into the Top 25,” Berenato added on pittsburghpanthers.com.

The Panthers return home for a Feb. 6 matchup against Villanova at 7 p.m.