Dungy, Colts aim to avenge Mora’s curse

By NICK LAMANTIA

It was Nov. 25, 2001, when then Indianapolis Colts head coach Jim Mora shouted those now… It was Nov. 25, 2001, when then Indianapolis Colts head coach Jim Mora shouted those now infamous words after a 40-21 loss to the San Francisco 49ers.

“Playoffs? Don’t talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me?” Mora scoffed. “Playoffs? I’m just hoping we can win a game, another game.”

Well, the Colts would win another two games that season and finish 6-10, leaving management with no other choice but to fire Mora and replace him with Tony Dungy.

Now fast forward five years, two months and ten days, and rearrange the roster a bit. Insert a 2002 Wild Card loss, a 2003 AFC Championship loss, a 2004 Division Playoff loss and a 2005 Divisional Playoff loss, and we arrive at a 2006 Colts team that entered the playoffs with a record of 12-4.

So in answer to your question, Coach Mora, yes, we’re talking about playoffs and no, we’re not kidding you.

The Colts’ defense led them to a Wild Card victory over the Chiefs. Their special teams brought them glory against the Ravens. Their offense extinguished the ever-burning fire that the New England Patriots seemed to hold over them in the postseason.

Only 11 players remain from the 2001 team, but those players, along with 42 new teammates, are poised to put this 2006 Colts team into the record books as the Super Bowl XLI Champions.

Quarterback Peyton Manning showed in the AFC Championship that he can overcome adversity and lead his team to victory. Nursing a sore thumb, Manning led the Colts, who were down 21-3 in the second quarter, to a 38-34 victory.

With 349 passing yards, one touchdown and an interception against a tough New England squad who had only given up one touchdown pass throughout the playoffs, Manning should easily pick apart the Chicago Bears’ defense.

The Bears play the Cover Two defense that Manning sees in practice daily, so that should help the seven-time Pro Bowler when it comes to finding the open man.

The Bears boast two cornerbacks only one year removed from Pro Bowl status in Charles Tillman and Nathan Vasher, so Peyton Manning may have some trouble there. But, look for him to pick on rookie free safety Daniel Manning (no relation) and special teams ace Todd Johnson, who will start at strong safety.

Peyton Manning’s signal changes at the line of scrimmage will confuse the two safeties, making easy pickings for whichever of the Colts’ receivers is matched up against Vasher. By being the slower of the two corners for the Bears, Vasher makes himself susceptible to big plays, especially with two inexperienced safeties behind him.

Pounding the ball between the tackles will prove to be easier this week than last as running backs Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes combined for only 125 yards on the ground against the Patriots.

The Bears, who normally claim a solid run defense, will be without defensive tackle Tommie Harris, who is out with a hamstring injury. The other defensive tackle, Tank Johnson, might have his mind elsewhere. Johnson had to receive special permission to play in the game as he was recently charged with misdemeanor weapons charges.

The Bears have All-Pro linebacker Brian Urlacher clogging up the middle, but by the time Colts center Jeff Saturday and guard Tarik Glenn make their push through the weak defensive front of the Bears, either of the Colts’ running backs will have gained three or four yards. This sets up the perfect situation for Peyton Manning to dissect the rest of the Bears’ defense with a shorter field to work with.

Also, the Colts’ defense has been playing as one of the better units throughout the playoffs, evident in its allowing of 14 combined points in the first two playoff games against powerful offenses of both Kansas City and Baltimore.

Indianapolis’ newly found run defense, which has allowed only 73 yards per game, will prove to be crucial against the one-two punch of Cedric Benson and Thomas Jones.

Jones and Benson combined for nearly 1,900 yards rushing and 12 touchdowns in the regular season, but with the Colts having safety Bob Sanders healthy, look for the Bears’ running game to be lessened significantly.

Both teams have a return ace with rookie Devin Hester in Chicago and veteran Terrance Wilkins in Indianapolis, but Chicago has the slight advantage in the speedy Hester and his game breaking jukes and jives.

But Indianapolis does hold a significant advantage in the kicking department with former Patriots kicker Adam Vinatieri, who has made a habit of kicking game-winners throughout his career. If the game comes down to the line, the Colts are glad he’s on their side.

My final prediction for Super Bowl XLI relies on the Colts passing game. The Colts will win the Super Bowl. Manning will win the MVP. This will be the start of a dynasty.