HEADLINES in Brief

By RICHARD BROWN ' SHANNON BLACK

National

Alabama College to hold “n-word” conference. Stillman College in… National

Alabama College to hold “n-word” conference. Stillman College in Alabama is hosting a four-day conference about the n-word, according to the Associated Press. The conference deals with whether or not it is OK to use different forms of the word as well as giving a history about the slur. Conference leaders hope to open up intelligent debate about the word and its usage in modern America.

Richard: Personally, I think that something like this really only helps to breed more intolerance and racial differences. The more people concentrate on words that divide and discriminate, the more those divisions become stuck in our normal modes of thinking. I think a better solution than to hold a conference about the n-word would be to simply stop using it. If we don’t treat racial tension like it’s such a big deal, it will cease to be such a big deal.

I’m not saying that we should pretend the last several hundred years didn’t happen, but that we should let them stop ruling our behavior today. Instead of helping to bridge the gap between races and bring people closer together, we are basically playing word games. The only way anything about the n-word is going to change is if we force a change, and the only way to do that is to shift our perception. Holding a conference won’t help that, but it will help people concentrate on the wrong issues instead.

Shannon: The n-word has always been a source of contention and debate, so I find an open discussion about it to be wonderful. Racial slurs may seem to be only words, and the idea that “words will never hurt me” causes people to undermine both their power and effect. Holding a conference about the various forms of the n-word and the differing views about it is a step in the right direction of talking openly about racism and its presence in America.

But I feel that it shouldn’t have just stopped at that. While Stillman College is a historically black college, I think that learning about other slurs would have been beneficial. The conference is a new idea that I hope works out with people being able to openly discuss both racism and their part in it. If the “N” Surrection Conference is a success, perhaps other colleges will follow the lead and host their own conventions that deal with learning about slurs and other prejudices. Talking about issues is the best way to learn and understand.

Education

Judge dismisses case about same-sex teaching. According to the Boston Globe, Federal Judge Mark Wolf has dismissed a case against Lexington, Mass., brought up by two families who were upset about lessons on homosexuality being taught in school with the book “King and King.” The book focuses on two princes who fall in love. The two families said that the curriculum infringed on their religious rights since their religion was deeply against homosexuality. The judge said learning about homosexuality was reasonable and aided diversity. Richard: I think that Massachusetts is totally ahead of the curve in terms of civil rights and gay equality. It’s still the only state in the union that has legalized same-sex marriages, and now the courts are defending the rights of the gay community in the face of fire from both social and religious conservatives.

Personally, I don’t have anything against gay marriage or civil unions, but the Boston court definitely has the right idea: No matter what our feelings may be about the issues, the fact is that these issues are an increasingly large part of American life, and that’s why the school has a right to teach them. Its duty is to prepare students for being citizens, and to do that they need to be exposed to these things even if they don’t agree with them. America is all about diversity, and even when people’s views differ, it’s important that they are prepared for what the world has in store.

Shannon: The reason the judge gave for dismissing this case was that diversity is a part of our nation and that schools are set up to teach children to understand the world they live in. By putting those two trains of thought together, it seems obvious that teaching about same-sex relationships is the rational way to go. It is simply a way of teaching children about the various different groups of people that make up America. By not allowing children to learn about such issues, once they are confronted with people different from themselves in real life, they’ll have no idea how to react.

While the families’ religion may be against homosexuality, religion doesn’t have much of a place in a public and federally funded school. Thus, the two families don’t have a solid case. But I’m sure that in a few months, parents will be clamoring to have a warning label posted inside “King and King” similar to Creationism ones placed in science books. These labels will simply say that diversity and understanding are only “theories.”

All options on the table for Iran. In response to Iran’s threats of continuing with its nuclear program, Cheney has stated that America has not taken any options off “the table.” This includes the use of force against Iran. U.N. officials are calling for stronger sanctions against Iran.

Richard: So, basically what’s going on here is the Bush administration is saying it isn’t ruling out the possibility of an invasion of Iran. I don’t know about you, but I think that this is brilliant. I mean, look at how well Iraq has gone! According to President Bush, we accomplished our mission and ended major combat operations in Iraq in less than two months, way back in May 2003 – everything since has just been blown out of proportion.

And the intelligence we had for that conflict was totally accurate, just as I’m sure the intelligence about Iran’s nuclear weapons and sponsoring of terrorism is. I mean, really, what could possibly go wrong? Well, other than the whole “getting embroiled in another endless Middle Eastern conflict that saps our resources and military force while gaining us nothing but the hatred of countries around the world” thing. But other than that, it’s a totally flawless plan. Good going, Cheney.

Shannon: Call me a pessimist, but despite the fact that Cheney has said that they hope to handle things “diplomatically,” I really don’t see that happening. There have been so many political jokes already about the Bush administration just changing one letter in Iraq to plan their next “pre-emptive strike.” Of course, these jokes are sadly beginning to sound like truth.

Entering into another Middle Eastern country is a terrible idea since we’re still embroiled in Iraq. But since the Bush administration is still trying to view the mess in Iraq as under control and even successful, I doubt Iran will seem like a bad idea to it. All I hope for is that the U.N. votes for stronger sanctions against Iran that will appease Cheney and Bush enough that they’ll take a few options off the table.