Publication hosts readings

By CARA STEINER

The Kurtzman Room teemed with the sounds of soulful jazz, snapping and magnetic voices… The Kurtzman Room teemed with the sounds of soulful jazz, snapping and magnetic voices Tuesday night as BlackLine hosted “Not My Words: Black Writers of Yesterday and Today.”

The event acknowledged historic and contemporary black writers, including those of the Harlem Renaissance, the Civil Rights Era and the Black Arts Movement. Langston Hughes, Nikki Giovanni, Gwendolyn Brooks and Pittsburgh favorite Terrance Hayes were some of the significant writers celebrated by student readings.

“A lot of people don’t know about the artists we are reading tonight,” Anjelica Duggins said.

She also said black poetry means different things to different people.

“I feel like all poetry comes from inside. But a lot of black poetry focuses on where they come from and their history,” Duggins said.

The event had several purposes. Cameo Rowe, co-editor, said “It gives a perspective on how people express themselves.”

The occasion also helped raise money for the Bebe Moore Campbell Scholarship that the Black Action Society is hoping to start. Bebe Moore Campbell was an accomplished writer and scholar as well as a Pitt graduate.

There were passionate performances by Brian Francis and Nathan James.

“I want to point out how much different and how much the same we are. I want to expose things still happening. I don’t want the audience to feel uptight about the content. I want them to realize how important words are,” James said.

Students got the chance to read their own work, and Camiele White, a sophomore, was not shy in doing so.

“I feel that if I present myself in a positive light, I’ll be presenting my race and my gender in a positive light,” she said. “But I don’t feel an obligation to represent an entire race or group of people.”

Issues of BlackLine’s February edition were available at the event, which discusses love and features both prose and verse.

Love was not the only theme of the night, however, as the readings covered a broad range of topics including violence, politics, death, racial segregation and womanhood.

“I think most black poetry has infinite themes,” White said.