Vagina gossip not just fun and games

By NICOLE DIMARIO

“The Vagina Monologues” Campus Women’s Organization David Lawrence, room 121 Today through… “The Vagina Monologues” Campus Women’s Organization David Lawrence, room 121 Today through Saturday 8 p.m. $5 with student I.D.

Join the Campus Women’s Organization Thursday, Friday and Saturday for performances of “The Vagina Monologues,” a popular play that focuses on, what else, vaginas and the issues that go along with them.

Directed this year by Sara Fatell and Molly Ferguson, “The Vagina Monologues” are in conjunction with Feb. 14’s V-Day, which is “a global movement to stop violence against women and girls,” according to vday.org.

The all-female cast will perform about 15 monologues for the show. While some of the monologues can be funny by talking about such a taboo subject in public, others take a serious look at women’s issues across the globe. For instance, the monologue “The Memory of Her Face” focuses on women in conflict zones and abuse against women.

While the monologues remain roughly the same year to year, directors have the opportunity to drop some from the lineup and pick up others.

According to Mary Carroll, a member of “The Vagina Monologues” board of directors, the show seems to get reinvented every year. Each performer brings her own style and personality to the monologues, creating a new experience for the audiences. “I think you always get a different feel from different interpretations,” Carroll said.

Proceeds of “The Vagina Monologues” will go to different charities, all focusing on women’s issues. Ninety percent will go to a local charity, this year New Voices Pittsburgh: Women of Color for Reproductive Justice.

The remaining 10 percent will go to women in conflict zones – the charity was chosen by the College Campaign, a part of the V-Day campaign that invites colleges and universities to perform “The Vagina Monologues.”

A different opening act will perform prior to the monologues each night: Sounds of Pleasure on Thursday, the sisters of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc. on Friday and Black Dance Workshop on Saturday.

The performances of “The Vagina Monologues” are part of a college-wide campaign to end violence against women, including rape, genital mutilation, sexual abuse and sexual assault.