2007 Student Government Board inaugurates members

By HALLIE JOHNSON

Sumter Link, one of nine students elected to 2007’s Student Government Board, is very… Sumter Link, one of nine students elected to 2007’s Student Government Board, is very optimistic about the coming year.

“We want to make 2007 a great year for all Pitt students,” said Link, 21, last night at the 2007 SGB Inauguration Ceremony.

It is a new year for SBG – new members, a new president and new goals. At this year’s reception, Chancellor Mark Nordenberg made opening remarks, reflecting on the past SGB, as well as what he looks forward to in the future with this new group of students.

“They are continuing to build on a remarkable record of high achievement. What makes this group so special is the fact that you [2007 SGB] are here not only to take advantage of the experience, but were chosen by your peers to make the experience better for students to come,” Nordenberg said.

Joe Pasqualichio, former SGB President, took a moment to reflect on achievements during his term on SGB. He gave advice to the 2007 board members. He challenged board members to help make possible the dreams of 16,000 undergraduate students, before passing on the torch to the new SGB President – 21-year-old Shady Henien.

Henien, a junior at Pitt and returning SGB member, has many visions for the upcoming year. In his mind, the majority of his goals, as well as the goals of the board, are feasible and will be successful in 2007.

“We want more access to the students. We want to bring money to the Student Activities fund as well as create a Presidential Council, consisting of the presidents of each student organization at Pitt to create a partnership of clubs and a unification of the student body,” Henien said.

Henien swore in the remaining eight 2007 Board Members. These students are: Joshua Carl, Alexis Chidi, Lacee Ecker, Bianca Gresco, Sheila Isong, Sumter Link, James Priestas and Janeace Slifka.

Sheila Isong, 19 and a junior at Pitt, also commented on the goal of a more united university.

“The focus will be on a united front. We worked individually this past year, and this year we will work together and reach out to more student groups. It is a way to meet directly with our constituency,” Isong said.

The biggest challenge SGB will encounter, according to Joyce Giangarlo, advisor to SGB for 24 years, will be a united board.

“They need to serve the students through their own individuality while remaining one group. They have to be united. Right now is the blooming stage. We want them to work together as a group and find their commonalities. They are no longer by themselves; they are one, and representing the University,” Giangarlo said.

Henien, in his inaugural address, said that this experience is the chance of a lifetime. He said that before the student body can progress, it has to get past its divisions.

“It is not by what we say, but how we act that makes us true leaders,” Henien said. “I am in this to win. When we carry out our goals, we will ask ourselves, ‘Is this truly the best and most effective way?’ Hold us accountable for our actions.”