MLK event focuses on Pitt issues

By HAYLEY GRGURICH

In commemoration of one of history’s most prominent examples of a man of action, Pitt’s… In commemoration of one of history’s most prominent examples of a man of action, Pitt’s Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity hosted an open “speakout” dedicated to following the footsteps of Martin Luther King Jr.

The event tried to encourage the student body to identify racial issues throughout the University and community and find ways to help solve them.

This year’s celebration was the eighth at Pitt, beginning with a vigil at the Cathedral of Learning that marched to the William Pitt Union for the speakout, but many of the issues discussed at the speakout have been problems for far longer than that.

Pitt sophomore Brianna Smith spoke of the countless other instances of the past and present when human rights have been violated, including how people need to worry less about being good members of an individual race and more about being good members of the human race.

“The problem arises when we witness others being put down and our voice of protest is silent and oppressed,” Smith said.

“We are still fighting for a dream created long ago, a dream of equality for all.”

Following Smith’s speech, organizers introduced the speakout and encouraged the audience to express their views about the issues present at Pitt that threaten freedom in any capacity and how best the University community should address them.

The first person to address the crowd cited the need for acceptance not only between groups, but within them as well.

“I’ve heard of many black students at this campus that are very upset because other black students have told them they aren’t ‘black enough’ or that they’re ‘white on the inside,'” she said.

This comment branched into one of two more general themes underlying others’ statements, namely the need for a true sense of community and for increased encouragement and improved facilities for education among all members of the black community.

“The average black student in twelfth grade is operating at a seventh grade white student’s level,” one student said. “I want to know what we, as college students, can do to address this.”

As far as action geared toward younger members of the black community, students proposed solutions encouraging political activism and open dialogue between University students and their younger brothers, sisters and friends.

“With younger black students, one of the problems I see is the fear of the unknown. Essentially we’re the elite of our neighborhoods, and yet, we’re not going back there to talk to kids about college,” one student said.

“Just take the initiative to talk to someone younger than you, anyone, so they know if they have questions about college they can talk to you, because you’re here and you know how it works and can help.”

Already positive action is in motion at Pitt thanks to a program developed by Vice Provost and Dean of Students Kathy Humphrey.

Humphrey’s biggest concerns at the University are related to the poor retention rates of black male students and the stratification between racial groups afflicting universities across the nation.

“The retention rate of African American males is the lowest rate in the country. They also have the lowest entry rate and the lowest recruitment rate,” Humphrey said.

“We have created a pilot program here at Pitt this year that aims to help any male, or female for that matter, that’s having trouble or is concerned about their ability to make it through school,” Humphrey said.

“This program is more than just tutoring or mentoring, it’s designed to ensure that students matriculate from one semester to the next.”

The program requires mandatory studying and offers sessions to teach students how to study effectively.

“There is also a book scholarship if you complete the course, because I know that people of all races on this campus are not buying textbooks, and textbooks and graduation go together,” Humphrey said.

In terms of fostering a stronger feeling of community, Humphrey said she hopes to see the black greeks and the white greeks work together more often on community service projects and charitable efforts.

“I want them to see themselves as more than the black greeks and the white greeks, but simply as the greeks, because there is power in unity,” Humphrey said.

As the speakout wound down, organizers applauded the crowd for their efforts, saying, “We have identified the problem and suggested a multi-faceted solution. In the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, ‘the question is not, if I stop to help this man in need, what will happen to me, but if I don’t stop to help this man, what will happen to him.'”